• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Emperor's new clothes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emperor's new clothes

Stuff - Best gadget of the year 2010

Apple has won a best gadget award for its iPad, beating the Amazon Kindle and Sky 3D to two titles.

The iPad was crowned Gadget of the Year and Readers' Gadget of the Year in the 2010 Stuff Gadget Awards.

"The iPad's success was by no means pre-ordained. It's expensive and functionally limited," Stuff magazine editor and judge Fraser Macdonald said.

"But it is also quite gloriously indispensable and only making itself more so with the increasing number of apps and accessories. To see it is to want it, and that's why it's our gadget of the year."
    Am I really the only one who doesn't really 'get' the iPad? I played with one for about a minute in the Apple shop. It's a nice-ish piece of kit and I might get one if they improved it a bit and charged about £100. To pay £500 or so for it you'd have to be completely mad surely?

My theory is that noone who has actually shelled out for one of these dare actually say that they are slightly disappointed with what they got for their money or they will look a knob.

As for 'gloriously indispensable' that's pushing it a bit.

I'll say up front I've got an Android phone and I have exactly the same feelings about the rival Android tabs so it's not an Android / iPhone thing.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      Stuff - Best gadget of the year 2010

Am I really the only one who doesn't really 'get' the iPad? I played with one for about a minute in the Apple shop. It's a nice-ish piece of kit and I might get one if they improved it a bit and charged about £100. To pay £500 or so for it you'd have to be completely mad surely?

My theory is that noone who has actually shelled out for one of these dare actually say that they are slightly disappointed with what they got for their money or they will look a knob.

As for 'gloriously indispensable' that's pushing it a bit.

I'll say up front I've got an Android phone and I have exactly the same feelings about the rival Android tabs so it's not an Android / iPhone thing.
      I have an Ipad and I really like it as a portable web/email device. The thing that does it for me is its battery life, it lasts days on end. Its just easy to grab it and start surfing, in the bog, in bed etc

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
        I have an Ipad and I really like it as a portable web/email device. The thing that does it for me is its battery life, it lasts days on end. Its just easy to grab it and start surfing, in the bog, in bed etc
        Hardly essential is it - I mean most people go to the bog to have a dump and go to bed to sleep/bone the partner.

If I want to surf the web I have a laptop - if I need a dump while surfing the web I am sure I can manage lieb with a 5 minute break.

I mean it may be seen as 'useful' but is certainly not 'essential'

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Hardly essential is it - I mean most people go to the bog to have a dump and go to bed to sleep/bone the partner.

If I want to surf the web I have a laptop - if I need a dump while surfing the web I am sure I can manage lieb with a 5 minute break.

I mean it may be seen as 'useful' but is certainly not 'essential'
          It's not essential but what is except some water and food and warmth.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
            Case in point.

For decades you paid a premium for smaller, lighter and more portable devices now (like the parody said) you're paying 2x as much for a 'big ol ipod touch'.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Case in point.

For decades you paid a premium for smaller, lighter and more portable devices now (like the parody said) you're paying 2x as much for a 'big ol ipod touch'.
              The advert used to say "What is iPad?" - I dunno.

I've never got them. I'm not techy at all so I assumed it was something beyond me. I have got an iPod, and a HTC - both are portable and let me do 'stuff' online, with music etc.

I would feel a right tit dragging one of those massive things out on the train.
              Last edited by MaryPoppins; 12 November 2010, 13:31. Reason: Spazzo speller
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                The advert used to say "What is iPad?" - I dunno.

I've never got them. I'm not techy at all so I assumed it was something beyond me. I have got an iPod, and a HTC - both are portable and let me do 'stuff' online, with music etc.

I agree, I only use mine around the house or on holiday, great for sitting on the sofa etc. Although sometimes I wish I waited for an android tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  Careful. You'll set EO off again.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I agree, I only use mine around the house or on holiday, great for sitting on the sofa etc. Although sometimes I wish I waited for an android tablet.
                    But, but, but......I've got a laptop for that?!
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X