• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for a phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a phone

Our H&S peeps currently lug a laptop and digital camera around with them when investigating incidents out on site.

What would be good is if they had a phone that was capable of taking good quality snaps, close up and wider angle and then uploading them to a website and letting the user add comments etc to them, or email them direct.

I'm sure lots of smart phones can do this but I'm behind the times on specs, functionality and camera capabilities.

Any suggestions?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Our H&S peeps currently lug a laptop and digital camera around with them when investigating incidents out on site.

What would be good is if they had a phone that was capable of taking good quality snaps, close up and wider angle and then uploading them to a website and letting the user add comments etc to them, or email them direct.

I'm sure lots of smart phones can do this but I'm behind the times on specs, functionality and camera capabilities.

Any suggestions?
    Iphone 4 or HTC Desire.

Comment

Although the OS is pretty crap, the new Nokia N8 has a 12MP camera, can shoot HD video, includes a simple video editing bit of SW and has 16gb of built in storage (expandable). Plus it's made out of aluminium so it should be pretty durable. I'd have one myself if it wasn't for the crap OS
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Although the OS is pretty crap, the new Nokia N8 has a 12MP camera, can shoot HD video, includes a simple video editing bit of SW and has 16gb of built in storage (expandable). Plus it's made out of aluminium so it should be pretty durable. I'd have one myself if it wasn't for the crap OS
        What's the connectivity like? Full web experience or custom browser ala blackberry?
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Going the other way, can't some cameras do web-access these days, if you need good photos?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

capable of taking good quality snaps, close up and wider angle
            This is usually a problem with phone cameras.
            The sensor is usually small and unable to take a full picture when zoomed out fully, and instead crops the picture.
            I can't explain in simple terms why this happens, but this site gives you a detailed explanation about why they're inferior to other (good) cameras or DSLRs.

An example of why you may need the full picture size and angle is if you are stood in a small room and need to take a picture of the opposite wall.
            If you stand in the same position and compare pictures on a phone camera to a DSLR with an ordinary kit lens zoomed out, you will get more in the picture with the DSLR.

Comment

Samsung ST1000 12MP Digital Camera with WiFi & GPS £194.24 :: www.svp.co.uk

Comment

What's the connectivity like? Full web experience or custom browser ala blackberry?
                I've not used it, just going off the specs - I have the N97 (for the next 3 weeks) and this is one of their latest phones. Why I'm not going for the N8 myself is because of how poor this handset performed in terms of day to day use but that was down to flawed technology in the handset. But one of the few things it was actually pretty good at was surfing the net - but it does use its own browser.

In all the reviews I've seen of it, it does do very well on the camera side of things.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I took this picture the other day and uploaded it here under a minute. When I say under a minute, well it took me long to type the post...

That was on a iPhone 4
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    ^WTES.

Nokia N8 camera review.

A potentially fantastic cameraphone is ruined by infuriating software

Comment

Working...
                    X