• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cameron agrees to bail out Ireland if necessary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cameron agrees to bail out Ireland if necessary

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...my-g20-ireland

Britain today stepped into the crisis enveloping the Irish government when it backed EU measures to mount a rescue operation if the country proves unable to repay its debts.

David Cameron agreed to add Britain's name to a statement giving assurance that the EU would step in to guarantee 100% of Irish debts if the country is unable to tap international money markets for extra funding.
    I can't fault his actions harshly. If Ireland were to go under, it would surely impact far heavier on its near neighbour. Even so, coupled with the 2.9% increase in money paid to the EU annually, I wonder if the Euro-sceptics are going to quickly go off Cameron.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

I am sure I speak for all on CUK when I say this is a most pragmatic and morally justifiable sentiment that David Cameron is espousing here, and is one that we can all fully get behind with no trace of doubt.
    Charity begins at home after all. Let's face it, not many of us can scratch at our family trees too deeply without uncovering the influence of the Emerald Isle (unless you count those whose flavour leans toward the garlic!!). Well done David!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

It's not my joke (took it from hpc) but it made me chuckle. Why do we call the Bank of England so? It's not just for England. Shouldn't we call it the Bank o fUK?
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        I am sure I speak for all on CUK when I say this is a most pragmatic and morally justifiable sentiment that David Cameron is espousing here, and is one that we can all fully get behind with no trace of doubt.
        Charity begins at home after all. Let's face it, not many of us can scratch at our family trees too deeply without uncovering the influence of the Emerald Isle (unless you count those whose flavour leans toward the garlic!!). Well done David!!

We should start a fund here, to bail out the poor blighters. Of course I should be exempted, as I'll be donating to the Guinness fund in Kilburn tonight anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          We should start a fund here, to bail out the poor blighters. Of course I should be exempted, as I'll be donating to the Guinness fund in Kilburn tonight anyway.
          Although ironically Diageo has its headquarters in London and its primary listing is on the LSE.

Comment

It certainly beats Cromwell's approach. Well done David
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Cameron should offer Ireland a unilateral guarantee, provided they agree to become a devolved member of the UK again and adopt Sterling.

Now's our chance to start grabbing back a bit of the Empire, and take a bite out of the EU at the same time.

I suspect Cameron is far to much of a whining pussy to contemplate it, any more than bottler Brown, the useless oaf, was capable of jumping at a similar opportunity with Iceland.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
              X