• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small businesses - private sector - corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small businesses - private sector - corporation tax

I know a mouthful. So I was thinking last night with all those public sector job cuts. Would it not be great gesture to private sector small businesses with an turnover say <200K to use they're corporation tax cash to pay for employment?

My corporation tax bill is easily 5 figures, much as I try and reduce it, however if I put this money aside to pay someones salary instead.. well come on David how about it?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I know a mouthful. So I was thinking last night with all those public sector job cuts. Would it not be great gesture to private sector small businesses with an turnover say <200K to use they're corporation tax cash to pay for employment?

My corporation tax bill is easily 5 figures, much as I try and reduce it, however if I put this money aside to pay someones salary instead.. well come on David how about it?
    You should be aiming your question at Gideon; Dave's too busy hob-nobbing with various world leaders.

It does seem like an amazingly good idea. Which is why the politicians will probably reject it out-of-hand.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Based on what you are saying most existing small companies that already has employees will become exempt from corporation tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
        Based on what you are saying most existing small companies that already has employees will become exempt from corporation tax.
        I doubt that would ever happen.

What I'm suggesting is only those companies that take on a redundant public sector workers be allowed to offset the corp tax liability against salary paid to such worker.

I employ others from time to time when the business demands it. There is always scope for more hands.

I'd like to grow my business affordably with someone who'd have a vested interest in it's survival.

What will I have lost if they don't deliver? The onus is 100% on them. Rebalancing the work force for the better. This is directly exchanging bureaucracy for productivity, especially since I deliver my services abroad.
        Last edited by scooterscot; 13 November 2010, 14:57.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There would be more incentive to take on workers to meet possibly temporary needs if the only red tape involved was paying wages and it was easier to get rid of them. Unfortunately all the regulations are heading in the wrong direction.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
          X