• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unintentional shoplifting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unintentional shoplifting

I think I forgot to pay for my grocery shopping today and it didn't dawn on me until I got home when I reached to fetch my unused credit card from my back pocket. So I replayed the shopping event, specifically the concluding part of the operation, a serve yourself till, packing, doing last items - blank on paying or catching the till receipt before it hits the floor (a highlight) or checking that my 2 for £3 were correctly conjoined - repacking into my sports bag, being careful to first take out the document that I didn't want crumpled, and finally leaving without a care in the world. All these are clear save that one thing. Searching reveals I've not got a receipt either.

Oops.

Yeah, tell your GP... something similar happened to a relation turned out it was a tumour.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Yeah, tell your GP... something similar happened to a relation turned out it was a tumour.
      Is that a type of root vegatable?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

one hopes you never find out...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

When I was a kid I once rode my bike to the shop and walked home, forgetting my bike and leaving it there, so I have form. I'm sure most of you have had similar experiences of absent mindedness, if not actually forgetting to pay

Comment

Shoplifters

Comment

So you're going to go back to the shop and pay, yes?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I think I forgot to pay for my grocery shopping today and it didn't dawn on me until I got home when I reached to fetch my unused credit card from my back pocket. So I replayed the shopping event, specifically the concluding part of the operation, a serve yourself till, packing, doing last items - blank on paying or catching the till receipt before it hits the floor (a highlight) or checking that my 2 for £3 were correctly conjoined - repacking into my sports bag, being careful to first take out the document that I didn't want crumpled, and finally leaving without a care in the world. All these are clear save that one thing. Searching reveals I've not got a receipt either.

Oops.

Reminds me of this sad case brought by a scumbag Indian shopkeeper.

Lady Isobel Barnett:
                When the more informal culture of the 1960s and 1970s brought an end to her television career, she descended into a reclusive and eccentric existence. In 1980, she was found guilty of shoplifting, being fined £75 for stealing a can of tuna and a carton of cream worth 87p from her village grocer. This brought her briefly back into the public eye, and just four days later, she was found dead in the bath at her home in Cossington, Leicestershire. The coroner returned a verdict of suicide.[1]

Her story was sensitively recounted by several of her friends and colleagues in a 1991 BBC Radio 4 documentary in the Radio Lives series, which confirmed that she gave no indication whatsoever to any of her friends that she was planning to take her own life, and that she kept up a facade of "business as usual".
                Isobel Barnett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  So you're going to go back to the shop and pay, yes?
                  I'm thinking about it. There is a small possibility I did pay, but that probability goes down each time I think about it.

You think it's worth me going down and saying 'I may have forgotten to pay yesterday, I'd put the probability at about 90%'?

Comment

I've just phoned them up and spoke first to the manager and then to another duty manager. Neither knew of anything, but said they will phone me back on Tuesday if they are down. The last one said "to be honest if you got away with it it doesn't matter", but I gave my details anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X