• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving Abroad.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Abroad.

Having watched Britains Trillion Pound Hour, it got me back to thinking about moving and working abroad.

I'm still kicking myself for turning down a move to San Francisco at the end of last year. It was a lifelong dream to work In San Fran(which I did) but to also move there. I always wanted to work in Singapore.

So in 2011 I plan to actively look to take a contact/perm job abroad(assuming another Plan B doesn't come off).

Either the US or Asia(Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Thailand or Indonesia). I love the Asian work ethic.

Gonzo is in NZ. NAT is Switzerland. Some of the boys in Germany.

The question to the panel is... If you had a choice, where would you want to work and why?

PS : And no. I'm not planning to take my sofa with me.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Am looking at moving to NL next year, have been 17 years in the UK and am looking for somewhere where the quality of life is much better.

Being based in NL gives you better access to mainland Europe and from a gig perspective better access to the main financial districts. With a lot of UK companies now domiciling themselves out there it will be easier for me to get gigs.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

- First choice would be to work from home wherever that may be. Current preference is London.
      - I quite like the idea of living and working in Sydney. My impression is that there is enough business and work ethic etc there to advance your career somewhat whilst the family and I could enjoy the lifestyle.
      - USA would be my next option. Like you, I also liked San Fran the couple times I have been and there is definitely a buzz to be had whilst working in Silicon Valley etc. I think it's a hard place to be if you struggle, but if it goes well then can be brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Being based in NL gives you better access to mainland Europe and from a gig perspective better access to the main financial districts. With a lot of UK companies now domiciling themselves out there it will be easier for me to get gigs.
        Is this just an impression and your current thinking or reality? Why would it be any easier to access the financial districts of Europe whilst based in NL than say London for instance?

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
          Is this just an impression and your current thinking or reality? Why would it be any easier to access the financial districts of Europe whilst based in NL than say London for instance?
          Better access from the perspective of the industry that I work in, most of the companies that I have dealings with are now domiciled in NL, and are also focusing their main projects in NL rather than the UK.

London (city) is well connected, but I always found it easier travelling from mainland Europe, that's just my personal thinking.

It would be interesting to see what the work ethos and culture would be like over there compared to the city.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Having watched Britains Trillion Pound Hour, it got me back to thinking about moving and working abroad.

I'm still kicking myself for turning down a move to San Francisco at the end of last year. It was a lifelong dream to work In San Fran(which I did) but to also move there. I always wanted to work in Singapore.

So in 2011 I plan to actively look to take a contact/perm job abroad(assuming another Plan B doesn't come off).

Either the US or Asia(Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Thailand or Indonesia). I love the Asian work ethic.

Gonzo is in NZ. NAT is Switzerland. Some of the boys in Germany.

The question to the panel is... If you had a choice, where would you want to work and why?

I'm already living part-time living in China, and will leave UK in 2011. My wife is Chinese hence China and we already have property there with no mortgage. Lifestyle is far better than UK, and it's not a place likely to be populated by UK chavs.

Comment

Originally posted by configman View Post
              I'm already living part-time living in China, and will leave UK in 2011. My wife is Chinese hence China and we already have property there with no mortgage. Lifestyle is far better than UK, and it's not a place likely to be populated by UK chavs.
              In what way? Where are you based?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                AtW will take that off your hands for you.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
                  In what way? Where are you based?
                  A new city called Shenzhen just across the border from HK. As for lifestyle being better:

Very low crime and friendly, helpful, and honest people
                  Big community spirit
                  With exception of western fashion and wine everything is fairly cheap
                  Lots of public open space and recreational facilities
                  Good work ethic - both employer and employee
                  No cold callers, or marketeers stopping you in the street - in fact no pressurised selling at all
                  You can offer a tip but nearly everyone except taxi drivers will give it back
                  Good all year round climate
                  Service is superb, the streets, public areas, shops are cleaned all day - possibly why so little unemployment
                  No lying sensationalist newspapers

You can get a sofa delivered same day

Comment

Originally posted by configman View Post
                    A new city called Shenzhen just across the border from HK. As for lifestyle being better:

Very low crime and friendly, helpful, and honest people
                    Big community spirit
                    With exception of western fashion and wine everything is fairly cheap
                    Lots of public open space and recreational facilities
                    Good work ethic - both employer and employee
                    No cold callers, or marketeers stopping you in the street - in fact no pressurised selling at all
                    You can offer a tip but nearly everyone except taxi drivers will give it back
                    Good all year round climate
                    Service is superb, the streets, public areas, shops are cleaned all day - possibly why so little unemployment
                    No lying sensationalist newspapers

You can get a sofa delivered same day
                    Just read the wikipedia article on Shenzhen and it does look really impressive. Am surprised at how much open space it does seem to have for such a large city. My worry would be that it is nearly the fastest growing city in the world so how long will that last.

As an added bonus I see it's twinned with Rotherham. I can see the similarity

Comment

Working...
                    X