• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracted terminated 3 weeks before end/Client Behaviour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracted terminated 3 weeks before end/Client Behaviour

My contract was due to end at the end of this year. About a month ago I asked for an extension, and got refused which I was ok about because my boss has been sacked, plus lots of other people terminated, the project is behind schedule it just seems like constant stress with no end in sight. There reasons were that they were looking for someone with more experience in my area and more "proactive", and more friendlier to the colleagues. None of the feedback was to my face only via my agency. Indeed there has been no management what so ever, communication, or expectations at all, just left to your own devices and given vague and dubious feedback at the end of your contract by line manager that has not even spoke to you in the entire length of your contract.

Anyway - well it now seems on top of not extending my contract , they are cutting my contract short, my new boss won't invite me to meetings, has got his own personel working on my job- I have been effectively sidelined, and more helping out than actively involved. In fact we have not spoken in about a month, just seems to be dirty looks and silence from them. So they seem happy for me to sit and twiddle my thumbs. you would have thought they would have wanted to keep me busy to the end of the contract.

So what to do other than job hunt, just sit out the contract until the end? Are they trying to get me to quit and leave ?? Its all a little awkward.

Just seems this type of behaviour is really bad, if they just said they wanted a change of personel, then fair enough and just keep me busy until the end instead behaving like this.
    Last edited by mark23823; 14 November 2010, 17:30.

Grit your teeth, turn up, keep invoicing and look for another job, don't let them push you into resigning. It's only another 3 weeks after all.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh dear. You really have to manage your client.

It's no good just sitting there and expecting them to tell you what to do - you really have to be prepared to step up and offer your own plan of work.

You are really lucky you are getting paid to twiddle your thumbs, but for future reference you should think about shifting your attitude to a more sales-oriented one.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Grit your teeth, turn up, keep invoicing and look for another job, don't let them push you into resigning. It's only another 3 weeks after all.
        WSS

It's often the case when they decide to end a contract early and there is continuing work that you will get sidelined, only thing you can do is continue to do your job the best you can and find summat else.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Yes I agree you need to sell your services, and have your own plan of work, but its not like you can bid for work or control what work your given, your paid an hourly rate and what you work is decided by your bosses. Plus often you need to work to internal procedures etc, standards, - its not just a case of coming up with your own work plan - it needs input and support from other people.

But it seems there are too many managers who want contractors, or subordinates in general to do everything for them. The word proactive seems to be a general purpose word for management who dump lots of untrained, unprepared resources and just hope for the best, rather than actively managing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mark23823 View Post

But it seems there are too many managers who want contractors, or subordinates in general to do everything for them. The word proactive seems to be a general purpose word for management who dump lots of untrained, unprepared resources and just hope for the best, rather than actively managing anything.
            And sitting there saying "please sir can I have some more work" puts you in with the permies.

Look - I realise it isn't easy and being proactive (which you have been accused of not being) will rub some people up the wrong way, but you really don't have anything to lose by trying do you?
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              And sitting there saying "please sir can I have some more work" puts you in with the permies.

Look - I realise it isn't easy and being proactive (which you have been accused of not being) will rub some people up the wrong way, but you really don't have anything to lose by trying do you?
              Unlike a permie, if you find yourself sidelined you cannot sit on the fence or sit on your arse. You'll be noticed(as would a permie). But in the case of a permie they can't be let go and so a manager has to get his act together or find themselves in the tulip themself.

That isn't the case with a contractor. Basically if you find that a contractor doesn't have the skills, or is not proactive enough, or doesn't produce the work you want, or you're a tulip manager / you can't manage and so don't get anything or either of you can't be arsed. Then. You're gone! Simple.

The best contractors will do the work they are hired for. They will attempt to 'upsell' their skills and get involved in all aspects of a project. The even better ones schmooze not only the client, but other possible internal clients so they have contingency. If you fall out with Manager A, Manager B will take you on. etc etc.

If all this fails or you don't have the ability to get in with a client, then move on. Plenty more fish in the sea.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by mark23823 View Post
                And long may it continue! That's what keeps me in contract!
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Three words...

Desktop Tower Defense

JPM paid me a lot of money to get that high score.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Three words...

Desktop Tower Defense

JPM paid me a lot of money to get that high score.
                    <whips out pencil, takes note>

Comment

Working...
                    X