• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 post April 2011

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 post April 2011

What will be the best way to provide services after the Budget in March 2011 has delivered its promised IR35 simplification changes.

Here are some "crystal ball gazing" options:

IR35 as we know it will be abolished. I am sticking my neck out here and saying this is a 100% cert. SO no more contract reviews.

It will be replaced with (or combination of):

A/ End Client having to make deductions at source from payments similar to that operated in the construction industry
    B/ Agents will be forced to operate PAYE in respect of all contracts entered into that only involve the provision of one person. I guess this will cover the majority of contracts entered into by Agencies
    C/ Personal Service Companies will NOT have to operate "Deemed salary calculations" or have IR35 proof contracts. However there will be national insurance added to Dividends paid to the contractor/director and to any of his relatives. This will still allow the contractor to use his/her spouses personal allowance and/or standard rate of tax. (This is my favorite and it has been recommended by a "Fiscal Thinktank" report published last week).
    D/ A general anti-avoidance rule in respect of the new IR35 (i.e. any of the above) that basically outlaws any scheme that tries to circumvent/avoid tax payable based on the new rules . General Anti-avoidance rules have been around for some time in USA, Australia, New Zealand. l

Probably C and D I should think. Could be the end of contracting in the UK as we know it.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

not trying to be a smartass (this time...)

but from what I just read on this site, the report isn't due until Nov 2011 and then given further time for review/legislation, I doubt very much we will see anything until 2013 earliest....

and like the summary says, I doubt it will be too agressive as this economy needs all the wealth generation it can get at the moment.
      Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Probably C and D I should think. Could be the end of contracting in the UK as we know it.
        Again?!
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          Again?!
          If there's employers and employees NI put on top of the 21% corporation tax you pay on dividends, that's a tax take of around 46% on all your income, would you stay contracting?
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            If there's employers and employees NI put on top of the 21% corporation tax you pay on dividends, that's a tax take of around 46% on all your income, would you stay contracting?
            Apart from the fact it seems unlikely they'd simply keep it as-is and make you pay both NIs on everything, if this happens then wouldn't everyone switch to using umbrellas?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Apart from the fact it seems unlikely they'd simply keep it as-is and make you pay both NIs on everything, if this happens then wouldn't everyone switch to using umbrellas?
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I'll just take a 6 figure permie job and enjoy the easy life playing politics but not contributing a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
                  I'll just take a 6 figure permie job and enjoy the easy life playing politics but not contributing a great deal.
                  This.

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
                    If you can get a £100k+ salary then you probably already would be. There are far more contractors than jobs paying that much!
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X