• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comments anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments anyone?

The caption for the photo reads:

"In the town of Nabatiyeh, Lebanon, a father comforts his crying baby after slashing the child on the head."

This is supposed to be a ritual of self-mutilation as a display of faith.

I don't think this one needs a caption:

Sorry, forgot to add source: Daily mail website http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811
    Last edited by Mordac; 13 February 2006, 11:02.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Jesus christ!!!
    WTF is wrong with these lot?

Comment

"In the town of Nabatiyeh, Lebanon, a father comforts his crying baby after slashing the child on the head"

One thing i cannot help notice "Dad" has no blood flowing down HIS head...

Comment

Is this Islam or Hinduism? Need to check first before making any comment as I wouldn't want to be fatwahed...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
          Is this Islam or Hinduism? Need to check first before making any comment as I wouldn't want to be fatwahed...
          Shia Muslims

Comment

Idiots
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I can't help wondering whether the Koran actually demands this demonstration of faith or whether it is just the twisted ideas of the local Imam?

Comment

Ashura

For Shi'i Muslims the Ashura is celebrated as the most important day of the longer Muharram festival. Their Ashura festival commemorates the death of Husayn in 680 in his fight to get control of the Caliph position against Caliph Yazid. For Shi'is, the Ashura is a day of great mourning, and strong emotions are expressed in the many rituals and activities connected to this day.

The most visual of these celebrations is the flagellation by male Shi'is. Whips, often with sharp ends, or even small knives are used to make their backs bleed. The reason for this ritual is that only physical pain can truly reflect the pain of the Muslim world when Husayn died, and Ali's family's fight to lead the Muslim world came to an end. This flagellation ritual is, however, just a part of a complex ritual in which the Shi'is commemorate every stage of the preparation for the battle, and the battle itself.

Comment

Cultural relativism, anyone?

PS What's the news re: fatherhood, Lucifer?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    PS What's the news re: fatherhood, Lucifer?
                    No joy over the weekend so Mrs Lucifer is going in tonight to be induced. All being well, evil incarnate should be with us sometime tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for asking - much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X