• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ITIL creates jobs out of thin air

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITIL creates jobs out of thin air

I can't decide who is worse for creating these pointless non-jobs... is it the Public sector or ITIL?
    This one seems to be the obscene creation of both.

And who the chuff is the 'Definitive Media Librarian' ??? Is he the guy who looks after the DVD box?

it gets worse..., SC clearance is required for this position! WTF??

Software Licence Controller

Contract
    Our client requires 2 Software Licence Controllers to work onsite in Bracknell.

The Software Licence Controller will report to and support the Service Asset and Configuration Manager through delivery of these highlighted functions:
    o To record software licence purchase receipts, building up a historical proof of purchases and a license net position.
    o Working with the Configuration Management team, to collect information on what licensable software is installed.
    o To manage licence entitlement including the complexities of licensing terms and establishing licence pooling and harvesting.
    o Working with the Definitive Media Librarian, ensure licence collateral is stored and recorded in the DML (Definitive Media Library).

Skills/Experience:
    Possess experience of ITIL Release, Change and Configuration Management gained in an IT Enterprise Environment
    Be able to practice excellent work prioritisation and time management
    Be able to collaborate and communicate effectively with suppliers and customers
    Be disciplined to follow work instructions faithfully, and to deliver improvements as a well managed change.
    SC clearance is required for this position, however candidates willing to run through the checks may also be considered.

Please forward C.Vs in the first instance.
    Location Bracknell, Berkshire
    Country UK
    Start Date ASAP
    Duration 11/11/2011
    Rate £204.00 per Day
    Employment Business Elan - Bristol
    Contact <removed>
    Email Contact This Employment Business
    Reference JS-.J86899A00105155
    Posted Date 15/11/2010 09:53:48
    Last edited by CheeseSlice; 15 November 2010, 12:51. Reason: removed agents name

Why's it not a real job? In a big company, this is a sizable task especially if they need to backdate existing projects.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think these fall under the "look at me, I'm so busy!!!" but ultimately unproductive jobs
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Why's it not a real job? In a big company, this is a sizable task especially if they need to backdate existing projects.
        I agree its a 'real' responsibility but I wouldn't go as far as recruiting 2 full-time people to do it, plus having a separate DVD...err 'definitive media librarian' guy.

They aren't even responsible for collecting the license data from the desktop and server estate, they just ask the config management team for that.

This should be a virtual role that somebody spends a couple of hours a week doing along side their proper role.

Actually the more I think of it, I'm wouldn't be surprised if this organisation has forgotten to log all of their software licenses for several years and is now facing a Microsoft licensing audit, hence the need for 2 contractors to sort it out.

Comment

Or an Oracle audit. Them guys are like the Spanish inquisition!

Comment

SC clearance is required for this position, however candidates willing to run through the checks may also be considered.
            Of course they will be.

Comment

They wanted me to do that role at BT on their part of connecting for health. Most of the stuff was bespoke so we had to train Enterprise Discovery to find all the bespoke applications and log then through into asset centre. Luckily the role got punted overseas to Bob & Co and that was that. All you need is some automated recognition tool and database to record it. The hard bit is tallying it back with the physical licenses.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                I can't decide who is worse for creating these pointless non-jobs... is it the Public sector or ITIL?
                This one seems to be the obscene creation of both.

And who the chuff is the 'Definitive Media Librarian' ??? Is he the guy who looks after the DVD box?

it gets worse..., SC clearance is required for this position! WTF??
                Definitive Media Library is one part of a Configuration Managers responsibility, it is where all authorised media such as source, binaries, licences, and documentation is kept - or something like Subversion for short. Its a stupid posh name for something rather simple.

Comment

Please do not bother going for any ITIL roles - EVER!

You wont earn hardly any money contracting in this area.

Roles are few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                    Please do not bother going for any ITIL roles - EVER!

You wont earn hardly any money contracting in this area.

Roles are few and far between.

WTS.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X