• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need out :(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need out :(

Hey,
    Right i'm 25 and I work in sales based commission only job in an dying industry. To say I hate my job is an understatment and over the past couple of months it has become clear to me that my job is making me serverly depressed, so I need to get out of it. I have to deal with some crazy people, in a poor working environment and because it's commission only, there's no real security as I live day by day not really knowning when the next pay day is going to be. I don't have any family as I grew up care, so I need security as I don't have anything or anyone there to fall back on if my work dries up. I don't sleep much because of all of this going round in my head.

I've got around £15k in savings and i've been thinking about what career path I can go down. I've only got 2 A levels so I was thinking about going to university but it's just too expensive now. As a result i've settled in my mind on working in IT as I use to know someone who did IT contract work with data bases and he earns a good whack, I haven't seen him for a while tho. I've also got a friend who works in recruitment got Hayes and deals with the IT stuff and he's always telling me about how he's getting £200 - £400 a day for them. So my thinking is that if I retrain in IT, then I could possibly get a half decent job through my friend.

My questions to all you guys, is how do I actually go about this. I've got my £15k so where can I do to retain and get qualifications that will allow me to get into IT contract work? All advice welcome.

Many thanks in advance

IT contract work does not equal security. Actually, even IT permanent work does not equal security.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Try a plumbing course.

Comment

Most important thing to learn if you want a future in IT in the UK.

Rosetta Stone Version 3: Hindi Level 1, 2 and 3 Set with Audio Companion (Mac/PC CD): Amazon.co.uk: Software

Comment

Originally posted by ATX View Post
          Hey,
          Right i'm 25 and I work in sales based commission only job in an dying industry. To say I hate my job is an understatment and over the past couple of months it has become clear to me that my job is making me serverly depressed, so I need to get out of it. I have to deal with some crazy people, in a poor working environment and because it's commission only, there's no real security as I live day by day not really knowning when the next pay day is going to be. I don't have any family as I grew up care, so I need security as I don't have anything or anyone there to fall back on if my work dries up. I don't sleep much because of all of this going round in my head.

I've got around £15k in savings and i've been thinking about what career path I can go down. I've only got 2 A levels so I was thinking about going to university but it's just too expensive now. As a result i've settled in my mind on working in IT as I use to know someone who did IT contract work with data bases and he earns a good whack, I haven't seen him for a while tho. I've also got a friend who works in recruitment got Hayes and deals with the IT stuff and he's always telling me about how he's getting £200 - £400 a day for them. So my thinking is that if I retrain in IT, then I could possibly get a half decent job through my friend.

My questions to all you guys, is how do I actually go about this. I've got my £15k so where can I do to retain and get qualifications that will allow me to get into IT contract work? All advice welcome.

Many thanks in advance
          Which one are you?

Comment

Just want to add, any possible job/career i'll consider. I've thought about the plumbing and being an electrician, but i'm currently earning 40k a year doing what I do, but it tends to come in a lump sum of commission, then nothing for months. Also the building trade is very slow at the moment. I want to get into something that's going to pay similar money to what i'm earning now, just without the sheer depression involved with my current job.

Like I say, it's just me, no family no nothing, so I'm happy to work anywhere. I heard people on oil rigs get paid a good amount, but no idea how to get into it. Basically I can't think of anything that isn't going to result in me dropping down to 15k a year. I'm really in a bind. I've thought about joining the armed forces, but that really isn't for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX View Post
              Hey,

Many thanks in advance
              I'm going to go with benefit of the doubt here.

Welcome.

Well good for you for wanting to make the change. IT is a tougher environment than it used to be, but get the right skills coupled with the right attitude than it is still a good career.

Your friend is lucky, in so much of the rates. But it's not all about that headline rate. To get to that point he will have first needed to have gained the skills.

I don't believe University would be a good choice for you. You don't say what your experience with IT is at the moment, but there are plenty of careers you could look to start in. Development, Business Analysis, Databases etc.

Because of your age, lack of experience and personal circumstances I would recommend you look for a nightschool approach to start with. There are plenty of private companies & college courses you will need to research the right ones for you. I would suggest you stick with your day job. This will still bring the pennies in and may lead to additional opportunities. As you become more confident in your new skills and course you may see other opportunities internally.

By gradually going through such a course, you can add to it by doing online course and/or books for your given area. This approach will allow you to gain the skills & confidence to start applying for roles.

You need to apply for a junior role within existing companies. The salary will not be great, but companies(especially small private ones) will look to take on candidates who are learning and have the drive. Serve an apprenticeship for a few years at your first place then see where it takes you.

Good luck.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

WMFS.

Nice reply MF.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Stunned.

A sensible reply specifically in General.

At a guess, contracting is a bit more secure than commission only sales.

Some sort of evening course to see if you're any good at it (or IT) would be a good place to start.
                  shit:! Was this in General????

In that case, just apply, you'll get a £1000 a day like the rest of us chancers.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I'm going to go with benefit of the doubt here.

Welcome.

Well good for you for wanting to make the change. IT is a tougher environment than it used to be, but get the right skills coupled with the right attitude than it is still a good career.

Your friend is lucky, in so much of the rates. But it's not all about that headline rate. To get to that point he will have first needed to have gained the skills.

I don't believe University would be a good choice for you. You don't say what your experience with IT is at the moment, but there are plenty of careers you could look to start in. Development, Business Analysis, Databases etc.

Because of your age, lack of experience and personal circumstances I would recommend you look for a nightschool approach to start with. There are plenty of private companies & college courses you will need to research the right ones for you. I would suggest you stick with your day job. This will still bring the pennies in and may lead to additional opportunities. As you become more confident in your new skills and course you may see other opportunities internally.

By gradually going through such a course, you can add to it by doing online course and/or books for your given area. This approach will allow you to gain the skills & confidence to start applying for roles.

You need to apply for a junior role within existing companies. The salary will not be great, but companies(especially small private ones) will look to take on candidates who are learning and have the drive. Serve an apprenticeship for a few years at your first place then see where it takes you.

Good luck.
                    Get a mod or admin quick!!! Someone has hacked MF's account. It needs locking immediately...

tulip! Was this in General????

In that case, just apply, you'll get a £1000 a day like the rest of us chancers.
                    Ah ok scratch that, he is back. They must have changed the coffee at MF's place or something.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X