• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just smokin' in the rain...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just smokin' in the rain...

While standing outside trying to shelter from the rain destroying my lungs and polluting the planet somebody ran by in the rain.

To prove how boring things are here Rhino and I started discussing whether or not you get wetter when

running from point A to point B in the rain

or

walking from point A to point B in the same rain

Things must be boring elsewhere too I guess as I got over 30,000 hits on a google search about this and came across a discussion with 100s of responses on this very topic.

I think threaded was there as part of one of the answers involved this formula...

N = nV = nWA = nW[(H + tv1)(T + tv2) - (t^2)v1v2 - HT] = nWt(Hv1 + Tv2)

Anyhow - without cheating - which and why ?

Fiddle,

i'd say you about need a holiday.

Milan.

Comment

I'd say you're right

Comment

There was a remarkably tedious correspondence in New Scientist some years ago on this point...

And whether or not leaning into the rain made a difference.

Nerds are plainly even more boring than geeks.

Comment

depends on

relative **velocities** [not speeds] of rain and runner. simple maths thereafter.

sp in *off on hols in 10 days* mode

Comment

what's it to be then,

a week at Butlins in Southend, or splash out and travel a little further afield to Skegness ?

Milan.

Comment

Neither but as it happens Skegness is closer.

You seem very well versed in the locations of Butlins - is there something you feel you should get off your chest?

Confession is good for the soul you know

Comment

gee

Gee, give me a break -- I've read about this problem in one physics/math mag that my dad subscribed me to -- I had to solve fecking problem from it, but not those advanced like this one: they actually had a solution but I did not finish reading the article. I think it was dated 1988 or so :rolleyes

Comment

Re: gee

Russians? Boring nerdy buggers? Now why am I not especially surprised by that :rolleyes

Comment

Re: gee

Confession is good for the soul you know
                    .....not quite so good for the 'R' soul though

Comment

Working...
                    X