• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Scottish Wedding - Best weekend ever.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Scottish Wedding - Best weekend ever.

Best mate got married to a Scottish lass at the weekend and I have to say it was one of the best days I can recall.

A fresh November day in Aberdeen would probably not be my first choice when picking a day to tryout wearing a kilt but after the first five mins outside you get used to the breeze and they are remarkably warm.

The Groom was remarkably relaxed in the vestry beforehand, joking with the vicar as I repeatedly checked the rings were in my waistcoat pocket.

The Bride was fashionably late but not as late as the Bridesmaids who's driver had taken the long way round. Much watch checking by myself and joking about at what time does this cease to be funny.

The ceremony was lovely, as were the Bridesmaids and little flower girls, the latter of which despite not really knowing what was going on were loving the attention.

Back to a country house for the reception. Canapes included little deep fried Haggis', another first for me but will definitely be on the menu at chez pondlife in the future.

I remained discreetly sober prior to speeches as there is (IMHO) nothing worse than some pissy slurring his speech. Fortunately they were before the meal which was a huge relief.

The Brides' father's speech was touching and depleted my tissue stash as the Bride and her entourage started streaming. The Groom was also equally endearing with his words. I (nervously) recannted my heavily practised anecdotes of growing up with the groom. Nothing lewd or offensive, just amusing stories that everyone who knows him would get.

So after my words were spoken and the laughter (thankfully!) had subsided I could relax a little.

After the meal, the tradditional the first dance. Boyo had clearly done his homework. This was followed by the Grand March and a squeeze of the hand from the Brides' sister reassured that all had gone well. As everyone was now on the dancefloor the band started the first of the evening's ceilidh "stripping the willow" type dances.

Now I knew this was coming and any sort of "set step" dancing fills me with dread but this was fun. Being hauled 180 degrees by elegantly turned out farmer's daughters is a new experience and one to be relished.

Watching the fireworks with mulled wine followed by "stovies" was a great break halfway through the evening.

All in all, it was a fantastic day and one I will not soon forget. There is something about weddings (especially if you're part of the main group) that brings out the best in people. My shoulders are still sore from all the back slapping and bear hugs from people I didn't know beforehand. I checked earlier this evening and there are some 300+ pics on facethingy already and the number of 'x' is now friends with whomever has pushed the usual dross updates off the page.

I just thought I'd post this as a refreshing change from the usual miserable carp we read on here.

Happy days!
    Last edited by Pondlife; 16 November 2010, 08:45. Reason: Spellink

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I just thought I'd post this as a refreshing change from the usual miserable carp we read on here.

!
    I give 'em a year, tops.

Divorce Advice: Law and Divorce Solicitors / Lawyers in UK / London

Comment

Very nice.

It was my wife's 50th birthday at the weekend. I took her and 22 friends away to a hotel in Dorset for two days. One of the best weekends I've ever had.

We started on the Friday with dinner at the local bistro, then back to the hotel for afters. Saturday the girlies went shopping and the guys went for a walk - taking in a pub en route before all meeting back at the hotel to get a couple of hours afternoon kip.

Saturday night we had a black tie champagne reception and four course dinner at the hotel. We'd arranged some surprises for the missus including a slideshow and hooking up with all her American friends during the after dinner celebrations via Skype. Everyone there got on like a house on fire.

Finished off at 3:30am with a lot of very happy people wandering off to bed. Back home for Sunday lunchtime.

Brilliant.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Canopies included little deep fried Haggis',
        Hope it kept the rain out.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Hope it kept the rain out.
          That's what happens when you post after a long weekend of indulgence.

Comment

I'm best man at a wedding just before Christmas this year and then again (for a different person) in May.

Really nervous about the speeches. The first chap is sports-mad and doesn't drink much, so my story bank is either mildly amusing anecdotes, or deeply personal things that would ruin his life. Not a great deal in between.

The second is the opposite and I have a plethora of hilarious stories based around his drunken antics. It will make him sound like an alcoholic though.

I'm scared.
            Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Best mate got married to a Scottish lass at the weekend and I have to say it was one of the best days I can recall.

A fresh November day in Aberdeen would probably not be my first choice when picking a day to tryout wearing a kilt but after the first five mins outside you get used to the breeze and they are remarkably warm.

The Groom was remarkably relaxed in the vestry beforehand, joking with the vicar as I repeatedly checked the rings were in my waistcoat pocket.

The Bride was fashionably late but not as late as the Bridesmaids who's driver had taken the long way round. Much watch checking by myself and joking about at what time does this cease to be funny.

The ceremony was lovely, as were the Bridesmaids and little flower girls, the latter of which despite not really knowing what was going on were loving the attention.

Back to a country house for the reception. Canapes included little deep fried Haggis', another first for me but will definitely be on the menu at chez pondlife in the future.

I remained discreetly sober prior to speeches as there is (IMHO) nothing worse than some pissy slurring his speech. Fortunately they were before the meal which was a huge relief.

The Brides' father's speech was touching and depleted my tissue stash as the Bride and her entourage started streaming. The Groom was also equally endearing with his words. I (nervously) recannted my heavily practised anecdotes of growing up with the groom. Nothing lewd or offensive, just amusing stories that everyone who knows him would get.

So after my words were spoken and the laughter (thankfully!) had subsided I could relax a little.

After the meal, the tradditional the first dance. Boyo had clearly done his homework. This was followed by the Grand March and a squeeze of the hand from the Brides' sister reassured that all had gone well. As everyone was now on the dancefloor the band started the first of the evening's ceilidh "stripping the willow" type dances.

Now I knew this was coming and any sort of "set step" dancing fills me with dread but this was fun. Being hauled 180 degrees by elegantly turned out farmer's daughters is a new experience and one to be relished.

Watching the fireworks with mulled wine followed by "stovies" was a great break halfway through the evening.

All in all, it was a fantastic day and one I will not soon forget. There is something about weddings (especially if you're part of the main group) that brings out the best in people. My shoulders are still sore from all the back slapping and bear hugs from people I didn't know beforehand. I checked earlier this evening and there are some 300+ pics on facethingy already and the number of 'x' is now friends with whomever has pushed the usual dross updates off the page.

Happy days!

Sounds such a frustrating time. The sight of all those pretty brides maids and you are warring a kilt with the cold air shrivelling up you manhood.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Sounds such a frustrating time. The sight of all those pretty brides maids and you are warring a kilt with the cold air shrivelling up you manhood.
                HTH

Your manhood does not shrivel up in the least as kilts are very warm (too bloody warm for summer weddings actually!).
                On top of that, most pretty bridesmaids get quite turned on by the sight of a man wearing a kilt. You'd be amazed at how quickly the level of their conversation can stoop to that of a bawdy strumpet. Particularly at weddings when they tend to get all broody, frisky, and drunk!!
                Wish I'd bought my kilt before I got married actually.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  HTH

Wish I'd bought my kilt before I got married actually.

You have a wife? Really? Well done! How is Thailand these days?

Comment

Originally posted by BdP View Post
                    You have a wife? Really? Well done! How is Thailand these days?
                    2/10. Must try harder.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X