PDA

View Full Version : After a year's evaluation, I've found the best family car

sasguru
16th November 2010, 16:49
Tried everything of all different styles, apart from 4x4s which I hate: Panamera(ugly, in bad taste), Skooby estate(bland), Audi estates (common as muck where I live), etc.

The best cars I found for small money were the Octavia estate and the Mazda 6 estate. It's amazing what quality you can get for a budget nowadays.

But one car stood out for value for money, practicality, quality, drive, looks and frugality:

Mercedes Estate C200CDI. A mere £25K (can't really believe its that cheap!) and a very nice car indeed.

Anyone got one as I'm on the verge of ordering it.

AtW
16th November 2010, 16:52
Mercedes Estate C200CDI.

That City work you do must be paying really well. :rolleyes:

I guess it's a big step up from Aygo...

sasguru
16th November 2010, 16:55
That City work you do must be paying really well. :rolleyes:

I guess it's a big step up from Aygo...

You really believed I drove an Aygo?

DimPrawn
16th November 2010, 17:03
Silver looks best I reckon.

Can't really say much about it, other than a BMW 3 or 5 series 2.0 diesel estate is faster, more economical, handles better and has much better dealer service.

Pondlife
16th November 2010, 17:03
New 5 series touring wasn't an option?

darmstadt
16th November 2010, 18:26
Tried everything of all different styles, apart from 4x4s which I hate: Panamera(ugly, in bad taste), Skooby estate(bland), Audi estates (common as muck where I live), etc.

The best cars I found for small money were the Octavia estate and the Mazda 6 estate. It's amazing what quality you can get for a budget nowadays.

But one car stood out for value for money, practicality, quality, drive, looks and frugality:

Mercedes Estate C200CDI. A mere £25K (can't really believe its that cheap!) and a very nice car indeed.

I had an older model of those once (also had the saloon and that was a great car) and was impressed with it and have heard good things about the newer models. I'm looking at a second car for winter and IKEA use and might go for a second hand one of these as you can pick them up reasonably cheap, just need to make sure that its got a green ozone sticker on it (many diesels don't.)

d000hg
16th November 2010, 18:30
You really believed I drove an Aygo?Considering you start a thread about which car you're going to buy every few months, it's as good a guess as anything.

I like the look of the Mazda 6 though, as a non-showy option.

shaunbhoy
16th November 2010, 18:34
I like the look of the Mazda 6 though, as a non-showy option.

It was on sasguru's shortlist, but it had to be dismissed when it was found that it was not wide enough to fit in both of his shoulder chips.

:laugh

sasguru
16th November 2010, 18:48
It was on sasguru's shortlist, but it had to be dismissed when it was found that it was not wide enough to fit in both of his shoulder chips.

Actually if you'd read between the lines and ignored the obvious Aygo red herring, you'd know my current car is a 6 MPS. Which I'm going to keep as I love it.

sasguru
16th November 2010, 18:51
Silver looks best I reckon.

Can't really say much about it, other than a BMW 3 or 5 series 2.0 diesel estate is faster, more economical, handles better and has much better dealer service.

I cant see myself driving a Beemer or even Audi, sorry. It screams dickwad with small penis.

shaunbhoy
16th November 2010, 18:54
I cant see myself driving a Beemer or even Audi, sorry. I can't reach the pedals without a booster cushion!

FTFY

minestrone
16th November 2010, 18:56
I think the girly has just bought a Cooper S all 4 there.

BMW go to some extremes to sell their extras.

"What is the smokers pack"

"ehh, it's an ashtray"

d000hg
16th November 2010, 21:16
I cant see myself driving a Beemer or even Audi, sorry. It screams dickwad with small penis.Too obvious, huh?

Moscow Mule
16th November 2010, 21:20

Don't. My mum's got one.

It is:
Cheap looking on the inside.
Small (rear legroom is not good)
A shit drive (answers the helm about as quickly as a super tanker)
Unreliable (ECU keeps refusing to start the ****er)

and going back to the fleet co.

DimPrawn
16th November 2010, 21:23
So it took you a YEAR to decide which family car to buy?

Not quite the high powered decision maker you pretend to be are you?

Slow and dull. A bit like a diesel Merc estate.

Troll
16th November 2010, 21:35
Anyone got one as I'm on the verge of ordering it.Will it take you another year to decide whether to order it or not?

http://mlmcored.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/a96753_a488_indecisive.jpg?w=450&h=299

Troll
16th November 2010, 21:40
I cant see myself driving a Beemer or even Audi, sorry. It screams dickwad with small penis.If the shoe fits...

fckvwls
16th November 2010, 21:44

I've been considering one of these (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201045372915939/sort/priceasc/usedcars/body-type/estate/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/model/e_class/make/mercedes-benz/page/24/radius/1501/postcode/sw155dd?logcode=p)

OwlHoot
16th November 2010, 21:51
If the shoe fits...

:spel small condom (http://www.undercovercondoms.co.uk/Condoms/Types/Smaller/4/smaller-condoms.html?kw=Small+Condoms&gclid=CJTpw8-opqUCFdX-2AodulSWHA&utm_source=142&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=Small%20Condoms&utm_campaign=142)

The_Equalizer
16th November 2010, 22:03
I've been considering one of these (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201045372915939/sort/priceasc/usedcars/body-type/estate/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/model/e_class/make/mercedes-benz/page/24/radius/1501/postcode/sw155dd?logcode=p)

If you're going to do it, may as well do it properly...

S-Class Benz (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201043371596569)

fckvwls
16th November 2010, 22:22
If you're going to do it, may as well do it properly...

S-Class Benz (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201043371596569)

With the exception being that that's not a family estate.

The_Equalizer
16th November 2010, 22:26
With the exception being that that's not a family estate.

Academic; it's big enough.

sasguru
17th November 2010, 08:22
So it took you a YEAR to decide which family car to buy?

Not quite the high powered decision maker you pretend to be are you?

Slow and dull. A bit like a diesel Merc estate.

It's a second car you retard. Not an urgent project.
Talking of dull and boring, chosing a BMW may serve as good a defintion of that as any. :laugh

Mich the Tester
17th November 2010, 09:37

I own an e-class and am very pleased with it; have driven the new c200cdi as a replacement during servicing and it certainly suits me, but then I'm not a very sporty driver, preferring comfort. Have owned BMWs and Alfas, were all good fun; the Mercedes seems to be just as quick, but somehow encourages a more relaxing drive. Also, other drivers seem to act in a more civilised fashion, letting me out of side roads or onto roundabouts.

Audis are indeed common, and driven by thugs. They look quite good, but I think the sporty suspension encourages overconfidence among drivers who have sporting delusions.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
17th November 2010, 11:04

Only 25k?! good lord, So all it would cost is a deposit for a house? So cheap.

Audis are indeed common, and driven by thugs. They look quite good, but I think the sporty suspension encourages overconfidence among drivers who have sporting delusions.

I learnt how true this is last Friday on the way home. An audi driver was behind me for aprox 6 miles on the M60 with these annoying blinding lights, so I decided to give him a bit of his own medicine. I slowed down and let him past and then put headlights on full. He then slammed breaks on and started tailgaiting me within 2 mm of my boot. I kept changing lanes to get away from him and he kept following me! I thought sh**e, he must be some mafioso or something. The relief when he eventually drove off! Watch out for Audi drivers - they are nutters!

fckvwls
17th November 2010, 11:06
so I decided to give him a bit of his own medicine. I slowed down and let him past and then put headlights on full.

You're an idiot.

DimPrawn
17th November 2010, 11:07
You're an idiot.

WHS.

:winker:

Ignis Fatuus
17th November 2010, 11:08
E-class is a fine idea.

C200CDI is the small saloon, with the smallest diesel engine. In a Merc, that's the recipe for an econo-taxi. Step up a little.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
17th November 2010, 11:08
You're an idiot.

How would you like being blinded for 6 miles?

DimPrawn
17th November 2010, 11:09

It's Xenon lights mate. Move out of the way of better cars and you'll be fine.

kandr

Exaggerate much?

Mich the Tester

I learnt how true this is last Friday on the way home. An audi driver was behind me for aprox 6 miles on the M60 with these annoying blinding lights, so I decided to give him a bit of his own medicine. I slowed down and let him past and then put headlights on full. He then slammed breaks on and started tailgaiting me within 2 mm of my boot. I kept changing lanes to get away from him and he kept following me! I thought sh**e, he must be some mafioso or something. The relief when he eventually drove off! Watch out for Audi drivers - they are nutters!

A chap I know who did some software development at BMW said that the fellows in Munich became rather concerned about their image toward the end of the 90s, as BMW drivers had a reputation for aggressive driving; he suggests that the more recent BMWs have been designed to appeal to more relaxed drivers. I certainly get that impression as I don't see anything like as many nutters in BMWs these days. I wonder whether the Audi management are just as sensitive to this; at some stage the damage to image could impact sales to the more 'discerning' customers. It really is serious; every time I see an Audi I can predict the driver's next move, and it will always involve some mad overtaking manoeuvre and lots of angry tailgating.

Maybe Audi's customers will all just die of high blood pressure and then they'll have to seek a new target market.

Mich the Tester
17th November 2010, 11:13
E-class is a fine idea.

C200CDI is the small saloon, with the smallest diesel engine. In a Merc, that's the recipe for an econo-taxi. Step up a little.
200cdi is probably ideal for the c-class. If it's an e, then 220cdi is a very nice engine, unless you're a boy racer/Audi ****.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
17th November 2010, 11:15
A chap I know who did some software development at BMW said that the fellows in Munich became rather concerned about their image toward the end of the 90s, as BMW drivers had a reputation for aggressive driving; he suggests that the more recent BMWs have been designed to appeal to more relaxed drivers. I certainly get that impression as I don't see anything like as many nutters in BMWs these days. I wonder whether the Audi management are just as sensitive to this; at some stage the damage to image could impact sales to the more 'discerning' customers. It really is serious; every time I see an Audi I can predict the driver's next move, and it will always involve some mad overtaking manoeuvre and lots of angry tailgating.

Maybe Audi's customers will all just die of high blood pressure and then they'll have to seek a new target market.

Very interesting point. I am well put off buying an audi these days as compared to previous years for that very reason.

Mich the Tester
17th November 2010, 11:16
Very interesting point. I am well put off buying an audi these days as compared to previous years for that very reason.

Yep, it's a shame because aside from the tooth-rattler suspensions, which can be overcome with air suspension, they're actually quite nice cars.

SupremeSpod
17th November 2010, 11:23
200cdi is probably ideal for the c-class. If it's an e, then 220cdi is a very nice engine, unless you're a boy racer/Audi ****.

I'm looking at an E320 CDi because I don't want a 4-pot oil-burner.

sasguru
17th November 2010, 11:39

£25K is a deposit for a house? You must live in tulipville :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

kandr
17th November 2010, 11:39
£25K is a deposit for a house? You must live in tulipville :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

No he has a 99% mortgage, or had until it got repossessed and plunged him into financial doom.

sasguru
17th November 2010, 11:41
I own an e-class and am very pleased with it; have driven the new c200cdi as a replacement during servicing and it certainly suits me, but then I'm not a very sporty driver, preferring comfort.

Comfort and safety are the priority as it's really for the missus to take the sprog to nursery and go to Waitrose. It'll never be driven over 30 mph probably.
For laughs and thrills I'll stick to my reliable MPS.

DimPrawn
17th November 2010, 11:43
Comfort and safety are the priority as it's really for the missus to take the sprog to nursery and go to Waitrose. It'll never be driven over 30 mph probably.

Profile: Who was Walter Mitty? (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tools_and_services/specials/article857838.ece)

Walter Mitty was a meek, unassuming permie who would daydream that he led an exciting, heroic life in order to escape his humdrum existence.

fckvwls
17th November 2010, 11:44

So the hyabusa has gone the way of the aygo has it? All just a figmment of your imagination Walter? Next you'll be telling us you were head-hunted for a high-paying permie role in banking :laugh

DimPrawn
17th November 2010, 11:46
So the hyabusa has gone the way of the aygo has it? All just a figmment of your imagination Walter? Next you'll be telling us you were head-hunted for a high-paying permie role in banking :laugh

He's not listening, he's planning his family Ski trip inside his £50K ecoshed that he bought with his £100K bonus he got last month.

kandr
17th November 2010, 11:46

We shop at waitrose, do you use the quick check service?, I find it excellent, you carry the scanner with you and pack as you go, no waiting at queues etc.

chef
17th November 2010, 11:54
I cant see myself driving a Beemer or even Audi, sorry. It screams dickwad with small penis.

the car or your other half?

NorthWestPerm2Contr
17th November 2010, 11:55
£25K is a deposit for a house? You must live in tulipville

25k = 10% deposit for a 250k house or 15% for a 160k house. Houses are available for those prices in South Manchester/Cheshire and while they wont be 5 bed detached houses with 6 toilets, they are still houses for living or investment. For a decent house you really would be needing 15% of 300k and while 25k isn't that its definitley on the way.

fckvwls
17th November 2010, 12:06
We shop at waitrose, do you use the quick check service?, I find it excellent, you carry the scanner with you and pack as you go, no waiting at queues etc.

So does the wife. I've not set foot in there in 5 years. It's wimmins work innit?

Ocado?

sasguru
17th November 2010, 12:36

Tis true the Busa is a bit of a white elephant. The missus doesn't like me using it so I haven't much. Was an impulse buy and will probably sell it.

sasguru
17th November 2010, 12:37
He's not listening, he's planning his family Ski trip inside his £50K ecoshed that he bought with his £100K bonus he got last month.

it was a £50K bonus last year - slightly less than most years.
Anyway it beats contracting up North for a pittance, doesn't it? :laugh:laugh

AtW
17th November 2010, 12:50
it was a £50K bonus last year - slightly less than most years. Anyway it beats contracting up North for a pittance, doesn't it? :laugh:laugh

Even if true that puts you right at the bottom of bonus earners in the City.

DimPrawn
17th November 2010, 12:54
Even if true that puts you right at the bottom of bonus earners in the City.

And £50K bonus for any permie earning a decent wage means only £25K in your pocket.

AtW
17th November 2010, 12:58
And £50K bonus for any permie earning a decent wage means only £25K in your pocket. :laugh

Indeed.

That's why he is buying cheap Merc for old men, not proper one like SL 55 AMG...

Mich the Tester
17th November 2010, 13:11
Indeed.

That's why he is buying affordable Merc for civilised people, not Russian mafia one like SL 55 AMG...

ftfy!

shaunbhoy
17th November 2010, 15:46
Tis true the Busa is a bit of a white elephant. The missus doesn't like me using it so I haven't much. Was an impulse buy and will probably sell it. Worst of all, it is too heavy for me to get it off the stand!

FTFY

sasguru
17th November 2010, 18:30
FTFY

Says the rotund middle aged one, who by his own admission toodles along the middle lane at a strict 70 mph, budging for no one.
:rollin::rollin::rollin:

shaunbhoy
17th November 2010, 18:46
Says the rotund middle aged one, who by his own admission toodles along the middle lane at a strict 70 mph, budging for no one.

Well not factually accurate, but no surprises there. I stated that I do not routinely slew into the inside lane simply to allow
small-penised, overzealous, frustrated petrolheads to drive dangerously fast.
However, given your lack of analytical ability, it is no surprise that you cannot differentiate between those facts and the rest of the disjointed clutter that rattles around your vacant cavern.

MarillionFan
17th November 2010, 18:47
Maybe I should have a look.

I normally start looking at cars in the 60k bracket. But then again I'm a contractor not a permie.:tongue

MarillionFan
17th November 2010, 18:48

Rotund?

Don't beat about the bush Sas. I've met Shaun he's definitely fat and he passed middle age some years ago...

shaunbhoy
17th November 2010, 18:52
Rotund?

Don't beat about the bush Sas. I've met Shaun he's definitely fit. And to say that he is an Adonis is probably an understatement. I felt quite intimidated in his presence. Like having a pint with Daniel Craig.

FTFY

:wink

EternalOptimist
17th November 2010, 18:52
:emb

fck. youse guys are way above my league
I am picking up a new one next week, but I was thinking of going for the replacement for the hyundai matrix, whatever that may be called.
looking to pay about 12k, with part exchange of about 4.5

its goto be good for camping, a long trip through europe, and two years of daily commute

:rolleyes:

sasguru
17th November 2010, 19:16

I am picking up a new one next week, but I was thinking of going for the replacement for the hyundai matrix, whatever that may be called.

its goto be good for camping, a long trip through europe, and two years of daily commute

Look at the Octavia estate and Mazda 6 estate. I really liked them and as am not a car snob would have got one or either if the missus had not liked the Merc. You should get a recent one for your kind of budget.
Now if only Mazda did an MPS version of the estate, that would be my perfect car.

d000hg
17th November 2010, 19:38
Audis seem like nice cars. Just because lots of idiots buy them doesn't mean you shouldn't. Try not to care so much about what total strangers think of you.
Just because 90% of the times someone tailgates you it's an Audi... the majority of cocks might be Audi drivers but that doesn't mean the majority of Audi drivers are cocks. You only notice the idiots.

Wodewick
17th November 2010, 19:40
Audis seem like nice cars. Just because lots of idiots buy them doesn't mean you shouldn't. Try not to care so much about what total strangers think of you.
Just because 90% of the times someone tailgates you it's an Audi... the majority of cocks might be Audi drivers but that doesn't mean the majority of Audi drivers are cocks. You only notice the idiots.

So you drive an Audi do you?

d000hg
17th November 2010, 20:08
So you drive an Audi do you?I don't drive anything, I've worked from home the last 3 years. I still own the Yaris I bought when I graduated university, but it's on long-term loan to a friend.

MarillionFan
17th November 2010, 20:11
FTFY

:wink

Adonis?

You're thinking of Achilles. He had a limp as well.:laugh

cailin maith
17th November 2010, 20:16

My parents have a Focus C-Max and it's got tonnes of space and is a really nice car to drive - I love it.

DimPrawn
17th November 2010, 21:05
My parents have a Focus C-Max and it's got tonnes of space and is a really nice car to drive - I love it.

:tumble:

Put the kettle on love, there's a sweetheart.

cailin maith
17th November 2010, 21:09
:tumble:

Put the kettle on love, there's a sweetheart.

:moon:

Mich the Tester
18th November 2010, 09:46

Ah, but this is not the point; I've driven Audis while choosing my latest car or as hire cars. They don't work for me; something about them makes me feel aggressive. Maybe it's the hard suspension or the over-responsive engines and gearboxes, I don't know. What I do know is I've never been able to relax in an Audi. I can relax and arrive stress-free and fresh in an MB.

Maybe that's what makes Audi drivers such a bunch of cocks; something about their car is bringing out the less pleasant aspects of their character. They might be quite nice people once they get home 45 seconds before me.

The_Equalizer
18th November 2010, 09:56
Speaking of Audi drivers reminded me of Audi's all time classic advert:

Audi Advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIQ-283wKgg)

How times have changed.

d000hg
18th November 2010, 09:57
Have you tried bigger Audis, which don't try to look sporty - are they the same?

Mich the Tester
18th November 2010, 10:00
Have you tried bigger Audis, which don't try to look sporty - are they the same?

Tried an A6; should have been a very comfortable car, but was rather like riding a dinner tray.

Maybe an A8 is really comfortable, but given my budget, the e-class was about the most relaxing drive. Only other car I really enjoyed was the Citroen C6, but considering earlier experiences with French cars I thought better of it.

Remember too that cars cost a lot more in NL due to 42% car sales tax plus 19% VAT on top of that. Top of the range is only really accessible to large companies or the super-rich like sasguru and dimprawn.

DimPrawn
26th November 2010, 17:31
Bentley GT Flying Star (http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=155352819)

:smokin