• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

35mm slidescanning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

35mm slidescanning

Hi guys,

just want to tell people about a slide scanning service....

25p per slide, scanned at 4800dpi

www.slidescan4u.co.uk

I think it is the cheapest slide scanning service available.
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

do I need a barcode on my child's slide for this scanning service to work ?

Will it also work for swings ?

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
      scanned at 4800dpi
      on a dedicated 35mm scanner, or just on a flatbed? There is quite a difference.

Comment

Is that the European

Originally posted by expat
        on a dedicated 35mm scanner, or just on a flatbed? There is quite a difference.

flatbed or the South African one?
        Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
          flatbed or the South African one?
          There's an even bigger difference between a dedicated 35mm slide scanner and a futon. Trust me.

The figure of 4800 DPI suggests a flatbed, in which case it woud be equivalent to more like ~2400 DPI from a dedicated slide scanner. And the dynamic range might not be so good. Oh and I presume the files are 8 bit per channel JPG's?

To be honest I think you are better off buying a dedicated slide scanner. The Minolta Dualscan 3 can be found in as new condition for about £50. It's a nice scanner, ~2800 DPI, and a decent dynamic range (DMAX).

Fungus

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
            There's an even bigger difference between a dedicated 35mm slide scanner and a futon. Trust me.

The figure of 4800 DPI suggests a flatbed, in which case it woud be equivalent to more like ~2400 DPI from a dedicated slide scanner. And the dynamic range might not be so good. Oh and I presume the files are 8 bit per channel JPG's?

To be honest I think you are better off buying a dedicated slide scanner. The Minolta Dualscan 3 can be found in as new condition for about £50. It's a nice scanner, ~2800 DPI, and a decent dynamic range (DMAX).

Fungus
            What makes you think it's a flatbed Fungus, or for that matter it would not be as good as a dedicated slide/neg scanner?

Had/used a few dedicated 'pro-sumer' type film scanners (Nikon 4000 and such like) but still the best quality scans I've ever had (for level of detail, dmax, and noise etc) have all been made with a flatbed from a 10x8 print believe it not...still the sort of equipment it was done on, and the cost, probably make an Imacon look quite reasonable...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
              What makes you think it's a flatbed Fungus, or for that matter it would not be as good as a dedicated slide/neg scanner?

Had/used a few dedicated 'pro-sumer' type film scanners (Nikon 4000 and such like) but still the best quality scans I've ever had (for level of detail, dmax, and noise etc) have all been made with a flatbed from a 10x8 print believe it not...still the sort of equipment it was done on, and the cost, probably make an Imacon look quite reasonable...
              A print does not need such high dmax and resolution as it is already an enlargement from a slide, and it has less dynamic range than the original slide (or film). That's why one reason why projected slides look so good. From the original post, he was talking about slide scanning, not scanning of a print. Scanning a slide is a more difficult task. Think about it. A 10x8 print is an 8x linear enlargement (or greater if cropped) from a slide. So 4800 DPI from a slide is more like 600 DPI from a 10x8 print. And I know of no dedicated slide scanner that does 4800 DPI, whereas I know of plenty of flatbeds that do 4800 DPI.

Fungus

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
                A print does not need such high dmax and resolution as it is already an enlargement from a slide, and it has less dynamic range than the original slide (or film). That's why one reason why projected slides look so good. From the original post, he was talking about slide scanning, not scanning of a print. Scanning a slide is a more difficult task. Think about it. A 10x8 print is an 8x linear enlargement (or greater if cropped) from a slide. So 4800 DPI from a slide is more like 600 DPI from a 10x8 print. And I know of no dedicated slide scanner that does 4800 DPI, whereas I know of plenty of flatbeds that do 4800 DPI.

Fungus
                Don't know if you're referring specifically to 4800 dpi as a limit or just the number itself?, certainly the Nikon 8000's and Minolta 5400 scan at higher than that on the home-based front.

As for DMAX possibly true, but if the noise/quality et al isn't so good then a flatbed can perhaps provide better quality from a large print...I know, copy of a copy and and all that, but I have tried a lot and the pro-scans I've had from Creos, Imacons and some of the Fujitsu stuff have still provided better than any direct slide scan I've seen so far.

Though the original post was about slide-scanning, my post, given your comments, was simply to suggest there is more than one way to skin a cat...though perhaps not for the bargain price of 25p.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                  Don't know if you're referring specifically to 4800 dpi as a limit or just the number itself?, certainly the Nikon 8000's and Minolta 5400 scan at higher than that on the home-based front.

As for DMAX possibly true, but if the noise/quality et al isn't so good then a flatbed can perhaps provide better quality from a large print...I know, copy of a copy and and all that, but I have tried a lot and the pro-scans I've had from Creos, Imacons and some of the Fujitsu stuff have still provided better than any direct slide scan I've seen so far.

Though the original post was about slide-scanning, my post, given your comments, was simply to suggest there is more than one way to skin a cat...though perhaps not for the bargain price of 25p.
                  Yes, there's more than one way to deprive a feline of its fur. You are right that a scan from a print can give good results, and can sometimes beat a scan from a slide, but as you say, you first need to obtain the print.

I have a Minolta 5400 and an Epson 2480 flat bed. Both are nice toys, err, tools.

The easiest approach is to use a high end digital SLR with macro lens and place the slide on a light box. That will set you back a mere £1500. I happen to have the kit, and tried it out this evening. The results equalled if not surpassed my Minolta 5400, which surprised me. So, I owe n5gooner a big thankyou for making me realise that I can now flog my slide scanner.

Fungus

Comment

Interesting idea Fungus.

Jessops used to do an inexpensive slide copying attachment for SLR's as well, intended for film of course, but if you could get the correct mount/attachment then it would provide a free scanner in a sense for anyone with a digital SLR...

Comment

Working...
                    X