• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick advice please - graphics card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick advice please - graphics card

I was given my task for the day this am. get out and buy a couple of new machines.
    well, mrs EO is paying, so what the heck.

One question though, as the machines (PC's) will be mostly for games, what type of graphics card should I go for ? dedicated or not

and does it matter ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Dedicated to free up CPU and memory, ATI or NVIDIA, take your pick.

The more you spend the better but the performance curve doesn't keep up with the price so something in the £130 range will only be 20% slower than one at twice the price.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Definitely get a dedicated graphics card, and yes, it really does matter - especially for gaming.

The Nvidia GTX range is about the best going at the moment, with AMD Radeon being a reasonable (usually cheaper) alternative.

As a simple guide the higher the number after GTX in the Nvidia range, the better the performance (e.g. 295 is better than the 285 etc.)

NB: Just read GJ's post above, so to avoid confusion - AMD Radeon and ATi are the same thing.
      Last edited by Ravello; 18 November 2010, 12:36.
      Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Dedicated to free up CPU and memory, ATI or NVIDIA, take your pick.

The more you spend the better but the performance curve doesn't keep up with the price so something in the £130 range will only be 20% slower than one at twice the price.
        great , thanks. dedicated it is then

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          great , thanks. dedicated it is then

There was a similar thread in Technical recently which may prove helpful.

Comment

Also two average graphics card in SLI/XFIRE mode will be better and cheaper than 1 expensive graphics card
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
              Also two average graphics card in SLI/XFIRE mode will be better and cheaper than 1 expensive graphics card
              But probably overkill unless it's for a full gaming rig?

When we say 'gaming' do we mean like fancy modern 3D extravaganza games? You definitely want a dedicated card, though it's typically only business or bargain-basement PCs that don't have one of some sort. It's pretty confusing though, so many different ranges with their own numbering schemes... a bit like sports cars.

This might help: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...ice=106-172.99
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X