• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

macbook air 13" vs. vaio 16"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

macbook air 13" vs. vaio 16"

I saw the new macbook air at the airport the other day and was tempted (I have never owned an apple pc). With a little surfing I've noticed for the same money I can get so much more in a vaio. This purchase is to replace a HP 17" laptop where the battery was screwed after a year and running vista has always been a dog. Is it time to swap sides or should I stick with what I know?
    macbook
    53.85%
    vaio
    30.77%
    andyw doesn't get enough pocket money for these
    15.38%
    Last edited by BigTime; 19 November 2010, 12:56.

I used to have a 15" Vaio which cost about £900... and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the build quality for something that was supposed to be a "premium" brand. It performed well enough, just bits falling off/coming loose within 2 months.

If you decide against the macbook, I'd advise looking at alternatives to the Vaio. Although that said, the higher priced Vaio's may be of better build quality. Personally, I won't buy another Vaio.

Comment

never seen a good sony Vaio they make great Tellys but laptops there poor, everyone i ever deal with has some weird issue you never see with anything else, Dell are a better bet, of course i would go for the Mac every time

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
        I saw the new macbook air at the airport the other day and was tempted (I have never owned an apple pc). With a little surfing I've noticed for the same money I can get so much more in a vaio. This purchase is to replace a HP 17" laptop were the battery was screwed after a year and running vista has always been a dog. Is it time to swap sides or should I stick with what I know?
        I had the same battery issues with HP x2, will never buy another one. I currently have Acer with 8 hour battery. I had Apple before and found it a pain, new Apple versions of all applications, couldn't bring home a copy from work. Had to convert file you were working at from home etc. Like Apple, but if your work computer is not Apple, then it didn't work for me.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Batteries have a 12 month replacement life. I've had several batteries in the past that seem to fail or severly degrade in the 13-15 month period. Therefore I have now setup a 11 month reminder from my last battery purchase to have a no question swap... problem solved
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            Batteries have a 12 month replacement life. I've had several batteries in the past that seem to fail or severly degrade in the 13-15 month period. Therefore I have now setup a 11 month reminder from my last battery purchase to have a no question swap... problem solved
            Top tip thanks. I noticed the original HP battery was shot at 11 months so got it replaced but didn't pay attention to it's replacement. All I need is a calendar entry.

The new machine will be for recreational use only so there's no danger of it being used for work related tasks.

Comment

go for the mac, yes its a learning curve but it worth it, its why almost anyone doing any kind of photographic/design/page layout or video work will use a mac

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                go for the mac, yes its a learning curve but it worth it, its why almost anyone doing any kind of photographic/design/page layout or video work will use a mac
                Do Mac laptops take standard laptop batteries?

Comment

Do you want a 16" screen? The new Air doesn't really have much direct competition, which better suits your usage and lifestyle?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Been using Vaios for years and never had any problem
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X