• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The student becomes the master

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The student becomes the master

There is a girl I know who I saw as an up and coming web talent. She worked for a friend of mine in his electrical business and pimped his website (I did version 1.0) in wordpress. It looked fantastic. I was so full of praise.

So I asked her to do mine. When asked how much, she got all shy and said she'd do it for nothing, and my friend had bought her an iPhone for doing his site. I ignored her, got the prevailing rate from the industry average and worked out a fair whack, and paid it. She said she felt lifted by it, and I felt I had done a good thing. A fair days pay and all that. The end result was fantastic. She is by far a more talented web dev than I am, and was always going to be.

So tonight she calls me (about 6 months after we last spoke) carrying on with an air of superiority. She wants my help on a project, not to do the theming, but to cut some php. Easy enough. Then the conversation took a turn. I felt like I was being interviewed. What projects have you worked on recently, what languages do you feel the most comfortable with etc etc. Not just innocent questions, and you could tell she was unimpressed when I said I hadn't really done that much in the past year and had not looked at HTML 5.

I am now long enough in the tooth to know that new fads come and go, but the ability to program never leaves you. And all those hard fought and won scars on your back are not for nothing. I have not written anything in about 12 months, as I have moved on from coding into other areas, but I am still taking on other programming projects as I can, will and will invoice.

Her tone has left me somewhat gobsmacked. She is obviously going places, and I have just wet the bed again, but I just wondered if anyone on here has coaxed the next generation of programmers only for them to gain expertise and then look at you like you are yesterday's news.

Not nice.
    Last edited by suityou01; 19 November 2010, 21:55.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

STFU ... seriously
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

This message is hidden because Troll is on your ignore list.

Comment

No...seriously just keep quiet
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

This message is hidden because Troll is on your ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            There is a girl I know who I saw as an up and coming web talent. She worked for a friend of mine in his electrical business and pimped his website (I did version 1.0) in wordpress. It looked fantastic. I was so full of praise.

So I asked her to do mine. When asked how much, she got all shy and said she'd do it for nothing, and my friend had bought her an iPhone for doing his site. I ignored her, got the prevailing rate from the industry average and worked out a fair whack, and paid it. She said she felt lifted by it, and I felt I had done a good thing. A fair days pay and all that. The end result was fantastic. She is by far a more talented web dev than I am, and was always going to be.

So tonight she calls me (about 6 months after we last spoke) carrying on with an air of superiority. She wants my help on a project, not to do the theming, but to cut some php. Easy enough. Then the conversation took a turn. I felt like I was being interviewed. What projects have you worked on recently, what languages do you feel the most comfortable with etc etc. Not just innocent questions, and you could tell she was unimpressed when I said I hadn't really done that much in the past year and had not looked at HTML 5.

I am now long enough in the tooth to know that new fads come and go, but the ability to program never leaves you. And all those hard fought and won scars on your back are not for nothing. I have not written anything in about 12 months, as I have moved on from coding into other areas, but I am still taking on other programming projects as I can, will and will invoice.

Her tone has left me somewhat gobsmacked. She is obviously going places, and I have just wet the bed again, but I just wondered if anyone on here has coaxed the next generation of programmers only for them to gain expertise and then look at you like you are yesterday's news.

Not nice.
            Being serious. (Look serious face).

That has happened to me a number of times. I've helped people along the way, mentored, shown them the ropes and made them be a little tougher. I laugh at the number of times when I've been on the phone(or met someone later who I've helped) who then tells me how I'm stuck in my ways! How they have adapted on their niche skills and making a mint, how I should be doing it, helping me 'on the way down'. Truth is I smile & be positive/supportive.

It's like the story of the two bulls Suityou.

Two bulls were on top of a hill looking down over a field of young heifers. The younger bull turns to the older bull and says, "Hey, look at all those heifers down there old timer, I'm going to run down and f**k one them."

The older bull nods. 'You do that son.... I'll walk down and f**k the rest then!'
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Being serious. (Look serious face).

That has happened to me a number of times. I've helped people along the way, mentored, shown them the ropes and made them be a little tougher. I laugh at the number of times when I've been on the phone(or met someone later who I've helped) who then tells me how I'm stuck in my ways! How they have adapted on their niche skills and making a mint, how I should be doing it, helping me 'on the way down'. Truth is I smile & be positive/supportive.

It's like the story of the two bulls Suityou.

Two bulls were on top of a hill looking down over a field of young heifers. The younger bull turns to the older bull and says, "Hey, look at all those heifers down there old timer, I'm going to run down and f**k one them."

The older bull nods. 'You do that son.... I'll walk down and f**k the rest then!'
              I was recounting the same story in my head while waiting for someone sane to post.

I shall carry on waiting

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Troll again..
                Awwwwwww maaaaaaan

Comment

How did the student become the master? Someone came along that was good at web development willing to do a website for free for you, but you paid her (idiot). She then went on and forged a career while you stagnated (lazy) even more and then was pissed off that she asked about your skills for an interview (loser).

The title should be, The loser became even more of loser.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                    How did the student become the master? Someone came along that was good at web development willing to do a website for free for you, but you paid her (idiot). She then went on and forged a career while you stagnated (lazy) even more and then was pissed off that she asked about your skills for an interview (loser).

The title should be, The loser became even more of loser.
                    You are getting better at this. 3.5/10

Comment

Working...
                    X