• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Friend in Need

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Friend in Need

BBC News - Irish Republic offered loan of 'around £7bn' by UK

Mr Osborne said he had been among those to oppose Britain's entry into the euro but added: "'I told you so' is not much of an economic policy. We've got to deal with the situation as we find it and it is in Britain's interests that we get some stability in Ireland, it's in Britain's interest that we are good neighbours."
    Well said that man!

And with the Queen set to make her first trip to Ireland next year, expect Irish morale to reach an all-time high in 2011.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

What a bloody mess.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

With the £7bn of our money, I expect the first thing the Irish will do is put it down as a deposit on a few million BTL's.

Property only ever goes up it price, so it's a no brainer.

Or perhaps they could order some more Mercedes cars?

Still, we can afford it. Fire up the printers Merv!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        BBC News - Irish Republic offered loan of 'around £7bn' by UK

Well said that man!

And with the Queen set to make her first trip to Ireland next year, expect Irish morale to reach an all-time high in 2011.

This is more to do with an indirect 2nd bail out of RBS and other UK banks exposed to Ireland. A "mess" indeed ...

Comment

Originally posted by BdP View Post
          This is more to do with an indirect 2nd bail out of RBS and other UK banks exposed to Ireland. A "mess" indeed ...
          I thought we wos skint - does this mean we have to print more wonga?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            No. Britain is up to its nostrils in debt but still manages to borrow quite easily. So we borrow the billions and lend them straight to Ireland, which nobody else will lend to.

It's a bit like being the oldest-looking of a bunch of 14-year-old boys, and going into the off licence to buy cider to sell to the younger-looking ones.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              It's a bit like being the oldest-looking of a bunch of 14-year-old boys, and going into the off licence to buy cider to sell to the younger-looking ones.
              More like two drunks trying to hold each other up.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                We are, but if we don't help, apparently we'll be even more skinter.

Comment

'I told you so' is not much of an economic policy.
                  Fair point.

Comment

Working...
                  X