• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bob Crowe at it again - this time over 2 sacked workers..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Crowe at it again - this time over 2 sacked workers..

Sminki

Hundreds of London Underground workers start voting this week on whether to call a strike over the treatment of two union members, threatening to bring the capital to a standstill during the festive season.
    "We are calling on our members to deliver resounding 'yes' votes for action in both ballots as we send out a signal that London Underground will not be allowed to get away with picking off our activists," said RMT General Secretary Bob Crow in a statement.
    Transport for London (TfL) said the Bakerloo line driver was dismissed for a breach of Tube safety rules, not for his trade union activities, and that the Northern Line driver was sacked for his "unacceptable conduct" towards London Underground colleagues rather than the "unproven allegations" RMT said were behind it.
    Get the poles in!
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

If the Tories play their cards right, Bob Crow could become a big asset for them come the next election.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      Get the poles in!
      Why can't they have automated trains (like DLR) on the whole of the Underground?

That way, when there's a strike called (by ticket office staff perhaps), the effect would be minimal - tubes could still run.
      I accept there'd be Health & Safety red-tape for platforms if there's no-one manning the platforms / cameras / doors etc.

It would save a fortune in salary though - these drivers earn a fortune....£31k back in 2002: BBC NEWS | England | More strikes expected on Tube
      And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Originally posted by manclarky View Post
        Why can't they have automated trains (like DLR) on the whole of the Underground?

That way, when there's a strike called (by ticket office staff perhaps), the effect would be minimal - tubes could still run.
        I accept there'd be Health & Safety red-tape for platforms if there's no-one manning the platforms / cameras / doors etc.

It would save a fortune in salary though - these drivers earn a fortune....£31k back in 2002: BBC NEWS | England | More strikes expected on Tube
        You'd have the added advantage that you could massively increase capacity by not having to rely on human reaction speed. Massive capital cost in age of austerity though I'd've thought.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It does appear that young Bob is seriously, seriously out of control.

If a union rep punched management it seems like he'd call his members out. There is no place for dinosaurs like Bob.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
            You'd have the added advantage that you could massively increase capacity by not having to rely on human reaction speed. Massive capital cost in age of austerity though I'd've thought.
            I see us (UK) as that flash Harry down the pub, all opulence and swagger yet everyone knows everything is on HP and he hasn't got a pot.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              It does appear that young Bob is seriously, seriously out of control.

If a union rep punched management it seems like he'd call his members out. There is no place for dinosaurs like Bob.
              As I understand it, LU want to lose around 850 workers. LU have said this will be through natural wastage, and voluntary redundancy. They also let slip, that this 850 includes 250 'headcounted' posts - ie posts they have a budget for - have not been filled because - erm, they are not required.

The RMT, as part of this dispute, are insisting that LU fill the 250 posts budgeted. These are jobs that are not required by LU! Yet the RMT wants them filled.

Crowe is a classic!

Comment

There was an interview with him and LU on Radio 4 around the time of the last set of strikes and he sounded more like a bully boy hell bent on bringing as much damage to LU as possible and no way like a union guy representing workers for fair rights. I don't bother with this type of stuff normally but he got me in a rage just listening to him. I felt sorry for LU having to deal with this oik. I believe underground drivers are on around 40k a year which is due to nothing more than blackmail from the unions and nothing at all to do with the pressure/requirements of the job.

Nasty little power mad man he is.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  There was an interview with him and LU on Radio 4 around the time of the last set of strikes and he sounded more like a bully boy hell bent on bringing as much damage to LU as possible and no way like a union guy representing workers for fair rights. I don't bother with this type of stuff normally but he got me in a rage just listening to him. I felt sorry for LU having to deal with this oik. I believe underground drivers are on around 40k a year which is due to nothing more than blackmail from the unions and nothing at all to do with the pressure/requirements of the job.

Nasty little power mad man he is.
                  I never thought I'd see a Scargill wannabe, but that's what Crow is.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by manclarky View Post
                    The victoria line is automatic. I believe the Jubilee line is as well. The fact there is a driver there is for safety and backup reasons (in the same way that you have pilots on recent airbus planes).
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X