• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Language Courses/CDs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language Courses/CDs

Anyone recommend one that they have used.

Looking to get my French back to fluency again not sure if Rosetta Stone or Linguaphone would be better. Something that can be listened to on the train is always good.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

When I was looking, these came highly recommended
    French With Michel Thomas Complete Course CD: Amazon.co.uk: Michel Thomas: Books

I bought a set for my daughter, who of course never used them :-(

So unfortunately, I can't say how marvellous they are

Comment

If you have internet on the train or wireless dongle you could try Live Mocha to supplement it. You can do a huge range of languages and then get in touch with 'penpals' to help use the language and practice. I have only just started but seems like a very good set up. It's like a wiki site/social network/language course all rolled in to one.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also recommend the Michael Thomas courses. I have the Spanish and Arabic courses.
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Anyone recommend one that they have used.

Looking to get my French back to fluency again not sure if Rosetta Stone or Linguaphone would be better. Something that can be listened to on the train is always good.
          I'm using Rosetta Stone to learn Mandarin, the voice analyser is pretty good - my Chinese wife and friends tested it for accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            When I was looking, these came highly recommended
            French With Michel Thomas Complete Course CD: Amazon.co.uk: Michel Thomas: Books

I bought a set for my daughter, who of course never used them :-(

So unfortunately, I can't say how marvellous they are
            I've got that on my iPod, but it was a free download. It seems pretty good, although I didn't listen to much of it. The basic premise of it is that English is much like French.

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Will look into some of them.

My priority is getting back into fluency again, I can pretty much understand if someone speaks to me in French its remembering the sentence structuring and tenses.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I think you need to find someone you can converse with on a regular basis. It's OK learning and repeating phrases from a course but it doesn't help when the person you are talking to uses the vernacular. Just chatting gives you a lot of confidence.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I've got that on my iPod, but it was a free download.
                  <cough>
                  French Michel Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    I think you need to find someone you can converse with on a regular basis. It's OK learning and repeating phrases from a course but it doesn't help when the person you are talking to uses the vernacular. Just chatting gives you a lot of confidence.
                    I've got someone I can do that with and text them and e-mail in French, but just need to get up to speed whereby I can chat less haltingly, without constant "Qu'est ce que le mot pour....." or "J'ai oublie"

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X