• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pubs are doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pubs are doomed

Went out for food for the missus tonight and decided to stop for a quick pint. One of my locals has closed down, one had half the bar closed and the third was empty.

I know its a monday night, but that was dire

a few years ago all three would have been heaving

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Remember we've never had it so good...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Opium dens, nothing more, nothing less. I just get pished on Kestral lager in the house, sometimes down the back of the park.

They should lower the prices of pub booze and stop Tescos selling cans of lager for 15 pence. Many pubs were tulipe though and deserved to be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Opium dens, nothing more, nothing less. I just get pished on Kestral lager in the house, sometimes down the back of the park.

They should lower the prices of pub booze and stop Tescos selling cans of lager for 15 pence. Many pubs were tulipe though and deserved to be closed.
        pubs are social centres that have a culture all of their own. Noone minds if you choose to drink at home... but a culture is dying

I like pubs

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          pubs are social centres that have a culture all of their own. Noone minds if you choose to drink at home... but a culture is dying

I like pubs

Yes. I like pubs too.

It's tragic that they are dying. I think the smoking ban was the major nail in the coffin (speaking as a non-smoker).

The small tied houses are stuffed as the big landlords are screwing them into the ground. The pub of the future is a Weatherspoons (or something similar) whether we like it or not.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Went out for food for the missus tonight and decided to stop for a quick pint. One of my locals has closed down, one had half the bar closed and the third was empty.

I know its a monday night, but that was dire

a few years ago all three would have been heaving

The smoking ban was the last straw for many.

Why go to a pub, when you can watch TV on the sofa with an ashtray on one side and a stack of cheap tinnies on the other?

I know a couple of people who have built bars in their house, and have parties where they (cough) charge a nominal amount for drinks.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The only pub in the village is now a mediocre overpriced restaurant.

Went into Glasgow last weekend to meet the mates for footie and few beers, the usual pub was closed for refurbishment and will open as a trendy, expensive tuliphole and the locals will have to find somewhere else to go.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Why go to a pub, when you can watch TV on the sofa with an ashtray on one side and a stack of cheap tinnies on the other?

I know a couple of people who have built bars in their house, and have parties where they (cough) charge a nominal amount for drinks.
                but thats the whole point. people go to the pub to get out of the house.

to see new faces, meet new people. ogle at new barmaids.

and now its gone, like tears in rain.
                no - wait - thats bladerunner

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

A couple of pubs here have adapted to the smoking ban rather than close. Like building a outdoor indoor section that still satisfies the rules but does not kick the smokers completely out in the cold. It's like a wooden hut complete with open fire but is outside, I think those pubs had money to build the modifications, a lot of pubs have no money to spend in the first.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I know what you mean OH, but the reason I go to the pub, is to drink with my neighbours and, other people, and possibly even strangers - it's a social thing.

I have a fridge full of beer and a rack full of wine, but I cannot enjoy it much, without company.

I have far more fun having 3 pints of some old ale down the local than sitting at home sipping a fine vintage Burgundy.

I love beer and wine, but for me, it's the company that makes it - not the quality of the drink.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X