• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"The Accused" last night

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Accused" last night

I watched "The Accused" last night. Superb. Drama of the best kind. McKenzie Crook was superb as the bullying, frightening NCO.

I see the Army (or baby killers, as I like to call them) are up in arms [sic] about the portrayal of the BA in Afghanitulip. "Decent people will be appalled at this drama and the BBC, blah, blah, blah).

Well, whatever the merits and reality, this program was brilliant.

Originally posted by BdP View Post
    I watched "The Accused" last night. Superb. Drama of the best kind. McKenzie Crook was superb as the bullying, frightening NCO.

I see the Army (or baby killers, as I like to call them) are up in arms [sic] about the portrayal of the BA in Afghanitulip. "Decent people will be appalled at this drama and the BBC, blah, blah, blah).

I watched this as well and it was very good. Perhaps we should have a "b|tch" on CUK as well

Last week's was good as well, another 4 to go I believe.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

It's thanks to those 'baby Killers' that you can sleep soundly in your bed at night.
      Well, unless you're a baby obviously. or young-ish. please define baby, its a bit woolly that one.

Anyways, I missed the program, but you piqued my interest, so will catch up on it

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 23 November 2010, 12:17.
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You are able to write..................thank a teacher.
        You are able to write in English......................thank the Army (or "baby killers" as you like to call them)

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I watched The Accused and it is not like that out there, I was out there and I was a bitch and the worst they did was pee on my boots.

Comment

I see the Army (or baby killers, as I like to call them)
            why?
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              You are able to write in English......................thank the Army
              I have heard that several times now but I don't think it's right. I reckon the only wars of modern-ish times that could reasonably have resulted in a language change would have been the French or Dutch imperial campaigns, and Britain's contribution to those was mainly as a naval power. So he should be thanking the Navy, not the Army. More recent wars, actual and possible (Germany? Russia?) I don't think would have resulted in a change of language even if they'd resulted in a change of sovereignty.

Comment

Originally posted by markmm View Post
                I watched The Accused and it is not like that out there, I was out there and I was a bitch and the worst they did was pee on my boots.
                Fair point; peeing on your boots is perhaps annoying and smelly, but not a disaster for someone who's in a stable mental state. But if you're scared to the point that you're unable to function normally (perhaps discovering too late that you're not really cut out for going to war, if anybody is), something like that can have serious psychological consequences. If you look at how victims of bullying or people who are psychologically screwed up react, it's often one tiny thing that 'breaks the camel's back'.

I can't judge whether this program had any truth to it, but I can imagine that if you put a lot of very young people in a very frightening situation for long enough, some very nasty things will happen.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

but I can imagine that if you put a lot of very young people in a very frightening situation for long enough, some very nasty things will happen.
                  Hey it's not your turn to talk yet I've got the conch!
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    I have heard that several times now but I don't think it's right. I reckon the only wars of modern-ish times that could reasonably have resulted in a language change would have been the French or Dutch imperial campaigns, and Britain's contribution to those was mainly as a naval power. So he should be thanking the Navy, not the Army. More recent wars, actual and possible (Germany? Russia?) I don't think would have resulted in a change of language even if they'd resulted in a change of sovereignty.
                    I think the point is not that we have kept our language, but that we have made every other bugger speak it

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X