• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My retirement dream

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My retirement dream

Talking about pubs, has anyone ever fancied running a pub ? possibly as a retirement dream
    I want to run a pub
    3.23%
    I will emigrate somewhere hot
    16.13%
    I will emigrate somewhere not too hot
    9.68%
    I will settle down and spend time with the grandkids
    9.68%
    I can't see myself ever retiring
    41.94%
    I will sail the world on a yatch
    0.00%
    Retired. Now its time for that Plan B
    0.00%
    I will flop at home, its time to take it easy
    9.68%
    I always fancied growing my own food. Its an allotment for me!
    0.00%
    I want to reskill, then try my hand at something new
    3.23%
    I want to go to FE, and get a doctorate
    6.45%
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Not what I'd class as retirement EO.

Working Everyday, 365/year, until at least midnight.

Gotta be one of the worst lifestyles ever IMHO.

Comment

Already voted, but where's the Andyw option?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Not what I'd class as retirement EO.

Working Everyday, 365/year, until at least midnight.

Gotta be one of the worst lifestyles ever IMHO.
        WPLS

I've had friends of mine want to run pubs and ended up selling them after a couple of years, lots of hard work, not getting away from it.

Definitely not for the faint of heart.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

If I won the Lottery, I'd buy my local favourite pub, and hire managers to run the place

Comment

EO,

how do we define retirement, that's the first question, I'll go first...

retirement is when we have investments which can sustain the standard of living to which we have become accustomed without the need for full or part time work

when do we plan/dream to reach that point ?

that's another good question, infact the golden question, of course the earlier we can get there the more time we have to enjoy it

and now to your question, what will we do when we get there ?

me, not sure yet, but for sure looking forward to being able to choose how to spend my time whether it's working in some way or having a hobby or whatever

another alternative is to get the investments to such a level that we can have a period of years continuing in our normal work but on a lower level of utilisation, eg for us contractors, for me, it would mean, taking a 3 months contract, finishing after 3 or 4 months, and then not looking for the next one until a few weeks after the end, as opposed to today keeping the utilisation high by finding the next one before the existing one finishes

that way, working part time, could be for a period of five to ten years a provide a state of 'semi-retirement' leading ultimately to the full time retirement and doing whatever one wishes with one's time

Milan.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Talking about pubs, has anyone ever fancied running a pub ? possibly as a retirement dream
              Thought about pubs, did a shop instead.

Definitely not doing a ******* shop again!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                EO,

how do we define retirement, that's the first question, I'll go first...

retirement is when we have investments which can sustain the standard of living to which we have become accustomed without the need for full or part time work

when do we plan/dream to reach that point ?

that's another good question, infact the golden question, of course the earlier we can get there the more time we have to enjoy it

and now to your question, what will we do when we get there ?

me, not sure yet, but for sure looking forward to being able to choose how to spend my time whether it's working in some way or having a hobby or whatever

another alternative is to get the investments to such a level that we can have a period of years continuing in our normal work but on a lower level of utilisation, eg for us contractors, for me, it would mean, taking a 3 months contract, finishing after 3 or 4 months, and then not looking for the next one until a few weeks after the end, as opposed to today keeping the utilisation high by finding the next one before the existing one finishes

that way, working part time, could be for a period of five to ten years a provide a state of 'semi-retirement' leading ultimately to the full time retirement and doing whatever one wishes with one's time

Milan.

Milan.
                click on 'never going to retire' , you windbag

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Dealing with the general public ... drunken general public too eugh!
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    JHC! Not for retirmnet. It's FT 24/7
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X