• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I don't know what to do!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what to do!

Hello,

I've looked at the sticky started by Nodric regarding Belgium... taxation /registration etc.., it's quite detailed but I'm having trouble understanding what would happen if I contracted over there.

At the moment I'm discussing with a UK agent about a contract in Belgium. I have said that I would want to invoice and contract with a UK agency and charge £uk gbp they say fine but they want to be charged in Euro's.

I have a UK Ltd Co., so questions are;

a) If I got the contract would I have to complete a Limosa? (The agent has said nothing about this.) I don't want to do this as I just want a straightforward b2b arrangement as per UK arrangements.

b) If I worked and stayed over in Belgium for less than 183 days then providing I pay what's due (in the UK) then would/should everything be ok?

c) Would the recent directives concerning VAT and point of supply (which country the services are supplied to) affect the way I would invoice?

apologies in advance if this has been specifically covered before

grateful for some advice

thanks in antic.

Originally posted by stillooking View Post
    a) If I got the contract would I have to complete a Limosa? (The agent has said nothing about this.) I don't want to do this as I just want a straightforward b2b arrangement as per UK arrangements.
    Yes, in Belgian law you have to fill in a Limosa if you work in Belgium for more than (IIRC) 5 days a month. However, a UK agency may not g.a.f. about Limosa, although their B. subsidiary (if applicable) will.

b) If I worked and stayed over in Belgium for less than 183 days then providing I pay what's due (in the UK) then would/should everything be ok?
    Yep.

c) Would the recent directives concerning VAT and point of supply (which country the services are supplied to) affect the way I would invoice?
    AIUI, if your agency is a UK firm you invoice for VAT in the normal way. If they are Belgian then your invoices put "0%" and "0" totals for VAT and should include wordage like the following :

"Levy of VAT reverse charged to AgencyCo VAT Ref. BExxxxxxxxxx in accordance with Article 196 of EU Directive 2006/112/EC on the common system of value added tax."

where BExxxxxxxxxx is the Belgian subsidiary's VAT number, not, obviously, your own or the UK agencies' .

Hth,

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      Yes, in Belgian law you have to fill in a Limosa if you work in Belgium for more than (IIRC) 5 days a month. However, a UK agency may not g.a.f. about Limosa, although their B. subsidiary (if applicable) will.

Yep.

AIUI, if your agency is a UK firm you invoice for VAT in the normal way. If they are Belgian then your invoices put "0%" and "0" totals for VAT and should include wordage like the following :

"Levy of VAT reverse charged to AgencyCo VAT Ref. BExxxxxxxxxx in accordance with Article 196 of EU Directive 2006/112/EC on the common system of value added tax."

where BExxxxxxxxxx is the Belgian subsidiary's VAT number, not, obviously, your own or the UK agencies' .

Hth,

Boo

That's very helpful Boo, those were my main concerns thank you very much for that.

I'll get back to the agent now.

Comment

It's not the agency that decides if you need a Limosa or not. It is the client where you work that will require it, so make sure you do get one.

LTEXPAT

Comment

Originally posted by LTEXPAT View Post
          It's not the agency that decides if you need a Limosa or not. It is the client where you work that will require it, so make sure you do get one.
          In my experience the client won't care.

Boo

Comment

Working...
          X