• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cameron gives his personal backing to contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cameron gives his personal backing to contractors

David Cameron praised the UK’s 1.4million freelance professionals yesterday, for what he called their “massive contribution” to the nation's economy.

The prime minister‘s comments, made in recognition of National Freelancers Day, also commended freelancers for being more courageous than 9-to-5 employees.

Mr Cameron said: “I can’t tell you how much admiration I have for people who leave the comfort of a regular wage to strike out on their own. It takes a lot of courage”.

Without freelancers the UK “would be a much poorer place,” the PM added in a letter to PCG, the group behind National Freelancers Day, which was introduced last year.

“The 1.4million freelancers in our country make a massive contribution to our economy,” Mr Cameron wrote.

“More and more people are choosing freelancing, recognising that it strikes the right balance between work and life in the 21st century, and as we go for economic growth this government is getting right behind them.”
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    WHS

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      Yeah, let's look at how New Liebore viewed us.

Paymaster General, Dawn Primarolo, scoffed at 'silly contractors' who claim to have moved overseas because of IR35.

Treasury Minister with responsibility for IR35, Dawn Primarolo, continued to refuse to believe that contractors would leave the country because of IR35, as, she claimed, other tax regimes were similar to the UK.

She also explained that IR35 is not a new tax, but would 'merely requires contractors to pay tax in the same way that millions of other taxpayers - companies, the self-employed and individuals on PAYE- pay tax'.

Speaking about the controversial IR35, Ms Primarolo said: "I shall put one or two facts clearly on the record. In the tax system, rules govern whether one may designate oneself as self-employed or whether one counts under the PAYE definitions. The category in which a worker falls dictates the reliefs and tax that need to be paid.

"No one - including consultants in service companies - is allowed to choose their category. People may wish to be self- employed, but that is determined by the terms and conditions of their contracts.

"IR35 deals with the massive avoidance of national insurance and a considerable amount of tax in which some of those service companies have engaged. It does not impose a new tax: it merely requires them to pay tax in the same way that millions of other taxpayers - companies, the self-employed and individuals on PAYE - pay tax."

Ms Primarolo has consistently refused to believe IR35 will lead to a 'brain drain' - even when some contractors have left the country to take contracts overseas and sent her post-cards from abroad.

She said: "It is suggested that such consultants will form a mass exodus, but that does not bear scrutiny because other countries have similar mechanisms to those that we are introducing to the UK system.

"In fact, I have been amused by the postcards that I have been sent by rather silly consultants from the countries in which they claim they have settled because the tax regime is easier. I am disappointed that they do not give me a reply address, because then I could write back to them to explain how the tax system of Germany or the USA, for example, requires people to pay their fair level of tax."

Comment

Ok - It's a soundbite but doesn't anyone get the difference in this attitude than the prevailing one from the last lot ???
        Oi, scumbag, don't start getting all fancy thinking you can take a different path, get back in line with the rest of the proles nodding and being thankful for a few bob in wages.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          Ok - It's a soundbite but doesn't anyone get the difference in this attitude than the prevailing one from the last lot ???
          Oi, scumbag, don't start getting all fancy thinking you can take a different path, get back in line with the rest of the proles nodding and being thankful for a few bob in wages.
          Personally I welcome that statement. Any problems down the line and he will be reminded of it, but if you think about it, it fits with his 'big society' philosophy.

Labour were motivated by the politics of envy. I'm not sure there is much of that on the tory benches.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Personally I welcome that statement. Any problems down the line and he will be reminded of it, but if you think about it, it fits with his 'big society' philosophy.

Labour were motivated by the politics of envy. I'm not sure there is much of that on the tory benches.
            +1

The tories are on the side of contractors, on our side.
            So we should be giving it a bit less of the icons and a bit more of the 's
            I say well done Mr Cameron, and thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              +1

You have to look at what they do, not what they say. He's sold us out to big business re the ICT scandal in allowing an unlimited number to transfer here under the pretext of a £24K minimum salary, excluding these from the immigration figures, and sold us out on his recent trip to India in the greater numbers that will be allowed in, having negotiated with Europe for a far greater number than any other EU country too. He's not a friend of UK IT.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                He's sold us out to big business re the ICT scandal in allowing an unlimited number to transfer here under the pretext of a £24K minimum salary
                Isn't it now £40k?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  +1

I say well said Mr Cameron. Well done will have to wait to be seen.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                    Isn't it now £40k?
                    No, 24K for 'ICT' workers.

Whoever thought up that abbreviation (standing for marked for Inter Company Transfer) must have thought it a great wheeze.

Comment

Working...
                    X