• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed please on increased accountancy charges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed please on increased accountancy charges

Hi,

I have searched for answers to this, but can't find any, so apologies if this has been asked before:

I used to pay £75 / month for my accountancy, my company was not being used for a year, so I was paying this money for absolutely nothing.

Anyway, my accountant has now contacted me, stating that they sent me a letter some months ago telling me they were almost doubling my fees and I now owe them an extra £500. I never recieved any letter and have barely even used their service. I am obviously moving accountancy firms, but I'd like to know if I am obliged to pay this increased amount. I don't feel like I ever agreed to this increase (who would?) but I don't know the legalities of the situation. I'm not too inclined to start a legal wrangle with an accountancy firm if I'm not on solid ground either.

Please could someone advise me?

Thanks,
    Tom

I think your best bet would be to try to negotiate with them - figure out exactly what's been done, list it out and request that they carry out a review based on the time spent on your affairs and the fees paid to date.

Is there a reason you wouldn't have received their letter regarding fees? Moved address or anything?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Look at your SLA, FPA or engagement letter with them. That should tell you whether they can bang up fees without your approval. If there is no reference to it (or fees at all) tell them to whistle for it. If they can, I'd say negotiate. I'd imagine they'd be happy to accept the fee you have already paid is adequate if you have done next to no business anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
        Look at your SLA, FPA or engagement letter with them. That should tell you whether they can bang up fees without your approval.
        Eh? I wish I had a business relationship where I could "bang up fees without approval".

Tell the accountants to bugger off. They either stick to the original deal or you sack them, the contract is not negotiable. Especially as you've been paying them to do nothing.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
        X