• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Co leaving it to last minute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Co leaving it to last minute

My client still can't tell me if I am being extended or not, and I finish a week today. It's time lik ethis I think about going permie.

Originally posted by kandr View Post
    My client still can't tell me if I am being extended or not, and I finish a week today. It's time lik ethis I think about going permie.
    You should have prempted and lined something else up weeks ago
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      You should have prempted and lined something else up weeks ago
      I tried, I have a few irons in the fire, but agents usually aren't interested until you are almost benched.

Comment

Time to look elsewhere perhaps or grow some balls.
        Client A - I am already extended until Dec 2011 (this means nothing by the way - just that the paperwork is sorted)
        Client B ends on XMas - I'll probably continue working and we sign the extension backdated from xmas sometime mid Feb.

It looks like your client is more like Client B in my case.
        You might not, but I prefer client B - if they don't get budget for me from IT dev, they'll get it from IT maintenance or even hire me as a 'temp' but in the end as they need me they always find a way.
        Client A - if the political or economical climate changes, the contract is not worth the paper - the whole project can get cancelled.
        You must learn to understand that even as a permie you're not safe if the company or the project goes under.
        I'd rather be the first than last to leave a sinking ship.

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
          Time to look elsewhere perhaps or grow some balls.
          Client A - I am already extended until Dec 2011 (this means nothing by the way - just that the paperwork is sorted)
          Client B ends on XMas - I'll probably continue working and we sign the extension backdated from xmas sometime mid Feb.

It looks like your client is more like Client B in my case.
          You might not, but I prefer client B - if they don't get budget for me from IT dev, they'll get it from IT maintenance or even hire me as a 'temp' but in the end as they need me they always find a way.
          Client A - if the political or economical climate changes, the contract is not worth the paper - the whole project can get cancelled.
          You must learn to understand that even as a permie you're not safe if the company or the project goes under.
          I'd rather be the first than last to leave a sinking ship.
          Why be so honest to the agents about your leaving date?

Although permie now, this was the first lesson I learned – knowing darned well that things take a couple of weeks to get sorted, and also knowing that if you go to existing client giving them an on the spot first refusal.

Comment

Exactly - there is allways some sort of urgent thing that 'might' crop up once your fake leaving date has passed that means you have to stay for a little longer. The new people would have to wait as it's hardly professional to do a bunk!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Why be so honest to the agents about your leaving date?

Although permie now, this was the first lesson I learned – knowing darned well that things take a couple of weeks to get sorted, and also knowing that if you go to existing client giving them an on the spot first refusal.
              Yeah I start looking in the last few weeks, anyway I am doubtful I will get extended, I have had my CV out there for the last 3 weeks with some irons on the fire. Just the timing is not great with xmas approaching.

Comment

Can't you just take the best 'iron' and let clientco know that you've taken it but haven't quite signed the paperwork yet but it's in the post?
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  Can't you just take the best 'iron' and let clientco know that you've taken it but haven't quite signed the paperwork yet but it's in the post?
                  Noone here cares, its a shambles.

Comment

No worries. If they do want to renew you get to charge your "short notice" rate.

Comment

Working...
                    X