• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Matched Betting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matched Betting

Anyone tried it?

Matched Betting
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Anyone tried it?

Matched Betting
    I looked into it a while back but couldn't be bothered with it.

Comment

Yep,I've made a few quid out of it.

I'd advise sticking to football untill you get the hang of it.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Yep,I've made a few quid out of it.

I'd advise sticking to football untill you get the hang of it.
        That's my thinking atm. Something easy to under stand in terms of matching the odds between bets.

Comment

Isn't it just gambling? The bookies are the only winners.

Comment

Did it once or twice but you quickly run out of offers, and it's not really worth the hassle for the small sums involved.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
              Isn't it just gambling? The bookies are the only winners.
              No it isn't, that's the point. It's exploiting the bookmakers free bet offers to make money.

Comment

Be very careful - make sure you stick to matched bets and do some serious research before moving onto any other strategies.

As an example of what can go wrong, here's an MSE thread from 2007 where they decided to start playing the overround on the First Goalscorer market for an Arsenal Chelsea game. You can see about pg 3-4 of the thread where the realisation slowly sinks in that, since not all the players in the market started the game, some of their lay bets would be cancelled, leaving them unhedged and in for thousands of pounds worth of losses:

Overround Thread - Does Not Work!!! Ignore - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

And here is the "so, how much did you lose?" thread:

How much did you lose today on the Dutching Fiasco - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Anything other then Betfair arbitrage it way too much effort for the return.

I'll have a pop at it on BF if I'm watching the game anyway and I think the odds are too extreme.

Comment

£25 for placing a couple of bets seems easy to me and well worth the effort.
                    And try to arrange it so you lose at the bookies.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X