• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2010 among hottest on record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 among hottest on record

Never mind the cold out there - this was decided by the Met people last month

BBC News - Met Office says 2010 'among hottest on record'

Stuff that in your burst water pipe, DimPrawn!
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Never mind the cold out there - this was decided by the Met people last month

BBC News - Met Office says 2010 'among hottest on record'

Stuff that in your burst water pipe, DimPrawn!
    Only two BBQ's this year
    Me, me, me...

Comment

We must have had a hot summer to make up for the record breaking winter of 2010. Maybe it happened while I was on holiday. Are they talking about the UK?

Comment

Was last winter actually especially cold, or only especially snowy? It's the norm to have frost for weeks up here, but not the norm to have snow sitting on top.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This year saw a weaker El Nino, and that fizzled out to be replaced by a La Nina cooling event.

So scientists might have expected this year's temperatures to be substantially lower than 1998 - but they are not. Within the bounds of statistical error, the two years are likely to be the same.

"It's a sign that we've got man-made global warming," said Dr Vicky Pope, head of climate science advice at the Met Office.
          Or maybe it's a sign that you don't fully understand the way El Nino and La Nina affect the temperature.

I thought one year was insignificant anyway? Or is it only insignificant if it's cooler than the case for man made global warming predicts?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I thought one year was insignificant anyway? Or is it only insignificant if it's cooler than the case for man made global warming predicts?
            I think the point is GW sceptics claim the last few years have been cooling, including last year probably. Strange how scientists can take the same data and get different analysis... it's not like we're talking predicting the future, just reporting on the past.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I think the point is GW sceptics claim the last few years have been cooling, including last year probably.
              And this year might turn out to be very slightly warmer than 1998, which doesn't support the warming trend either.

Strange how scientists can take the same data and get different analysis... it's not like we're talking predicting the future, just reporting on the past.
              Indeed. Which is why I don't believe either side has any real understanding of what's going on. The Met office are basically saying "our prediction of it being cooler was wrong, therefore that proves man made global warming".
              Last edited by VectraMan; 27 November 2010, 11:46. Reason: English failure
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It´s 0.5 degrees colder now than it was 2000:

When it´s warm it rains, and when it´s cold it snows.

HTH
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 November 2010, 12:29.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  It´s 0.5 degrees colder now than it was 2000:

When it´s warm it rains, and when it´s cold it snows.

HTH
                  What sort of hockey stick is that? You bent the end off!

Comment

What we really need is for sasguru to turn up and explain it all to us cretins!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X