• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wikileaks & D-Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wikileaks & D-Notice

Lets see how long the UK government can hold back global information

In preparation for the WikiLeaks dump, the British government warning United Kingdom news organizations about the publication of any material which could endanger national security. The Ministry of Defence on Friday issued a so called "D-Notice."
    wonder wot it says
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

As Old Holborn saids, "Off you go"

Myself, I can't be arsed.

I give the gov 24 hours before everyone knows and thinks to themselves, "was it worth making a fool of yourselves over that".
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Wikileaks is probably how they leak things these days.

Comment

As long as the don't leak list of sockies on here with names of real sockie-meisters I am ok...

Comment

Well? Anyone seen all this stuff? I had a 404 when I tried Old Holborn's link.

Some Wikileaks material is quite interesting, but the majority is deathly dull IMHO.

edit: The link was OK - I mistyped it.

It seems the new "insurance" files are encrypted using 256-bit AES. So for all practical purposes they may as well be locked in a safe in the Pentagon.
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 26 November 2010, 22:23.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The password is sasgu...

Comment

It doesn't matter a damn anyway. D-Notices (more accurately described as DA-Notices since 1993) are merely a request from the Government that certain information isn't published. They have no standing at law and cannot be enforced. If a newspaper, TV station, or radio station chooses to go ahead and report on the subject matter of a DA-Notice, the Government can't do a thing about it other than wave its arms about and whine to its cronies at its pet newspapers.

The really amusing thing about this particular piece of stupidity is the way neither side dares to admit the truth of the matter: the Government has to keep on pretending that it's issued the notice for Very Important Reasons That Must Not Be Disclosed when in reality it's just willy-waving, and the WikiLeaks acolytes are desperately keen to be able to claim that they are Being Repressed even though they aren't.

IMNSHO WikiLeaks has done a lot of good by publicising information that embarrasses the powers that be, but it does itself no favours when it pretends to be a virgin spinster crying "Rape!" whilst loving the kudos gained from the supposed violation.
              Last edited by NickFitz; 27 November 2010, 04:05. Reason: I should hone my sentences _before_ posting. Ho hum.

Comment

It's being suggested that It will contain:

a) Comments about Gordon Brown - we can assume they aren't flattering.
                b) Suggestions of Turkish government collusion with terrorists in Iraq that will damage their chances of joining the EU.

Both sound like great positives to me.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

It's being suggested that It will contain:

a) Comments about Gordon Brown - we can assume they aren't flattering.
                  b) Suggestions of Turkish government collusion with terrorists in Iraq that will damage their chances of joining the EU.

Both sound like great positives to me.
                  Maybe, but if it is encrypted as I said, and relates to negotiations with Israel, and the Israelis are being intransigent, then it could have been officially leaked in some devious ruse to scare them into compliance - the idea being that the diplomatic letters are now public, albeit encrypted, and all it takes is for the decryption key to be mysteriously leaked too ...
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

So, about this Aussie Wikileaks bloke, 'Assange'...

I had a google around, and found that this 'insurance' file was meant to be his own insurance to make sure he wasn't killed by the likes of the CIA, MI6, etc.
                    So, if he's not dead and they're going to release the files anyway, what will happen to Assange?

I just imagine snipers training their cross-hairs on him 24x7, awaiting the 'kill' codewords from the CIA.

Comment

Working...
                    X