• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loft insulation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loft insulation

I live (own) in the top floor (2nd) of a flat (over 100 years old). I see that you can get grants to have it insulated, anyone applied for this? I'm in Scotland btw.

Yeah, for underfloor insulation for my Dad but 3 different contractors refused to go under the floor so the insulation work still isn't done.

Have you spoken with the Energy Saving Trust?
    Energy Assistance Package - Energy Saving Trust Scotland

I'd assume from the age of the property that the internal walls are lath and plaster. You may want to ask about getting those filled with cellulose if it's not practical to rip off the lath and plaster, pack the void with insulation and sheet with energy saving materials.

Not sure if there are still grants available for central heating or for pre '97 boiler change.
    Last edited by Aman; 27 November 2010, 19:36.

Comment

There are people making a mint out of loft insulation for pensioners. My parents had some around telling them they were entitled to free loft insulation, which they agreed to have done. A large area of the loft has boards down, so only about half of it was insulated, and they charged the tax payer £1400 for that. For about 2 hours work. Kerching.

Comment

Working...
      X