• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Down down deeper and down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down down deeper and down

Right then,

It's forecast to reach -10 by the end of the week (and colder isn't unheard of out here) and my autumn jacket is a bit lightweight and doesn't have a hood. I have one of these which has got me through the last two winters but it's a bit short and the neck has a really large opening that means you have to wear a scarf or it's useless. The hood is also ridiculously large, so that you can't see where you are going if you have it up.

So, time for a new coat. I'm wondering if one of these superlight high fill power down jobs like this, this or this is going to be warm enough?

Anyone with some experience care to comment? Or just have fun making comments about going down.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

They all look a bit "council house"
    I take it style is not part of your consideration for the purchase
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Right then,

It's forecast to reach -10 by the end of the week (and colder isn't unheard of out here) and my autumn jacket is a bit lightweight and doesn't have a hood. I have one of these which has got me through the last two winters but it's a bit short and the neck has a really large opening that means you have to wear a scarf or it's useless. The hood is also ridiculously large, so that you can't see where you are going if you have it up.

So, time for a new coat. I'm wondering if one of these superlight high fill power down jobs like this, this or this is going to be warm enough?

Anyone with some experience care to comment? Or just have fun making comments about going down.
      Shame you didn't post this at the weekend - The North Face had a 30% off promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Shame you didn't post this at the weekend - The North Face had a 30% off promotion.
        Bought my wife one with the 30% knocked off. She also collects them Harrods teddys so bought the christmas one and the expensive one and got 10% knocked off that. What pissed me off is that there is a voucher code doing the rounds for harrods where you get £100 knocked off a £250 spend. The bears were 138 and so I could have pretty much got something for nothing had I known about the code! i.e. something (anything for at least 112 would have 100 off!
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Or wait a week and it will warm up again, obviating the need for an Arctic coat....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            Bought my wife one with the 30% knocked off. She also collects them Harrods teddys so bought the christmas one and the expensive one and got 10% knocked off that. What pissed me off is that there is a voucher code doing the rounds for harrods where you get £100 knocked off a £250 spend. The bears were 138 and so I could have pretty much got something for nothing had I known about the code! i.e. something (anything for at least 112 would have 100 off!
            Yeah, missed that myself - quite fancied a new netbook.

However, last I read, there was un-certainty whether Harrods would honour the discount as the code was only sent to select individuals and not for mass distribution.

Edit: As expected, Harrods cancelled the orders so didn't miss out.
            Last edited by Clippy; 29 November 2010, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              They all look a bit "council house"
              I take it style is not part of your consideration for the purchase
              I would rather be warm than cool.

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
              Or wait a week and it will warm up again, obviating the need for an Arctic coat....
              I live in southern Germany, close enough to the Alps that I can see Austria on a clear day. It pretty much stays this cold until February.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I would rather be warm than cool.
                Know what you mean

I am considering these - but they're made from wabbit - I'll ask AtW to comment if squirrel is better

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I went for the of these ones

The chap in the shop reckons it should keep me warm down to -20

Comment

Handy, as -20 C was the temperature forecast for Scotland overnight.

It's curious that clothes designed to keep one warm offer no quantitative measure for the shopper to use other than what a salesman says, and £200 is a heck of a lot of money to spend on heresy. What and where are the losses in good quality clothing? Convectional losses are presumably related to how closely the clothes fit (a body suit being best?) and independent of the material used. Radiative losses, no idea. And thermal resistance dependent on the material and its thickness, which is never specified as e.g. a Tog or "U" rating.

I wonder where the heat goes? The aim being to retain about 150 Watts at -20 C in a moderate breeze.

Comment

Working...
                    X