• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scary moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scary moment

I was driving back to london last night after dropping my son off at school. I was on that bit where the M40 joins with the M42 and as it was well lit decided to wash the bits of salt off my windscreen. Big mistake. The jets of water turned to ice as they landed on my window and completely obscured my view. Luckily the road was straight and there were no cars near me! I couldn't really pull over as I couldn't really see where the hard shoulder was. So I put on the heated windscreen, put the blowers of full on my window and kept my sprays going and wipers on full. After what seemed like an age it cleared. Sacred the tulip out of me though!! I thought that premixed stuff wasn't supposed to freeze like that!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I was driving back to london last night after dropping my son off at school. I was on that bit where the M40 joins with the M42 and as it was well lit decided to wash the bits of salt off my windscreen. Big mistake. The jets of water turned to ice as they landed on my window and completely obscured my view. Luckily the road was straight and there were no cars near me! I couldn't really pull over as I couldn't really see where the hard shoulder was. So I put on the heated windscreen, put the blowers of full on my window and kept my sprays going and wipers on full. After what seemed like an age it cleared. Sacred the tulip out of me though!! I thought that premixed stuff wasn't supposed to freeze like that!
    Yeah, I've stupidly done that before - whack the wipers on fast which should remove at least enough to see where you are going.

Comment

Done that too
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The usual premixed stuff is for the "normal" UK conditions, it isn't necessarily concentrated enough for -10. When I was touring ski resorts I would mix the concentrate 1:1 with water, and keep a spare bottle in the boot for emergencies (like it being far too cold to piss about with a scraper in the morning)
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

here on the mainland we have winter washer water which is good to -25

no mixing with water just poor it straight in

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            The usual premixed stuff is for the "normal" UK conditions, it isn't necessarily concentrated enough for -10.
            I get annoyed when I walk into a Shell or BP and see the only pre-mix they have is their so called "winter strength" and only goes down to -5 C. Many petrol garages wont even stock concentrated wash fluid because they can shift so many units of the weak pre-mix stuff for a fiver or more. I guess they make a small fortune on this each year.

These guys need to wise up, its been getting much colder the last couple of years and we need -10 minimum (ideally -15 or -20) for safety's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              And hence the term Darwinian

HTH
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
              X