• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter tyres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter tyres

Anyone bother changing their tyres for winter or do you stick with what you have got?

And yes Troll, we all know you have a 4x4.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Anyone bother changing their tyres for winter or do you stick with what you have got?

And yes Troll, we all know you have a 4x4.
    Stick with what I've got, it is that time of year when our continental contractors will come on here to tell everyone how they change their tyres in the winter because it's the law or some such.

I'd rather drive more carefully or not at all and save £600 thanks.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Stick with what I've got, it is that time of year when our continental contractors will come on here to tell everyone how they change their tyres in the winter because it's the law or some such.

I'd rather drive more carefully or not at all and save £600 thanks.
      It is now. Before it was just advisory although your insurance probably wouldn't pay up in the case of an accident but AFAIK, this week it actually became law. I've had them on for a couple of weeks now and needed them Saturday evening driving home and will need them this evening due to the fact it has been snowing since I arrived at work.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Snow Socks. It's the future (aledgedly).
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

after driving in the Scottish Highlands last winter in a VW Golf hire car with standard tyres and slip sliding everywhere even though I was going extremely slow, using low revs, a high gear etc. and comparing that experience to driving as normal in mid winter in Sweden in a Saab with winter tyres on, I'd say the cost of winter tyres is nothing compared to the safety and ease of driving.

I see it a bit like walking in the snow wearing shoes with polished soles compared to sensible winter footwear
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

It always irks me when the rental companies try and charge extra for winter tyres. I know that all their cars have winter tyres on, and in some places they are required by law, so how the f**k do they plan to give me one with summer tyres if I say no? Are they going to go and change them?

While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

They're worth it, if you plan on keeping your car for more than one set of tyres. Also having them mounted on an extra set of steel rims, extends the life of your pimp alloys.

Comment

yep got em on

pirelli scorpion ice and snow

can't beat em, even for the grip they provide in the wet alone

once you've got over the pain of buying the first set, the costs will not be higher than before cos your tyres last twice as long cos you've got two sets

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  once you've got over the pain of buying the first set, the costs will not be higher than before cos your tyres last twice as long cos you've got two sets
                  That's assuming:
                  a. winter tyres cost the same as standard tyres
                  b. winter tyres have the same level of wear on normal road surfaces (i.e. for the 99% of miles you'll be doing on non icy surfaces)
                  c. winter tyres are as fuel efficient as regular tyres
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

aye

Milan.
                    Last edited by milanbenes; 29 November 2010, 18:14.

Comment

Working...
                    X