• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chimney Fire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimney Fire

Well interesting Sunday night.

Stocked up the fire with coal and wood to fight off the cold temperatures and settled down to watch some crap TV.

Looked at the stove and thought the fire seems to be drawing well, took a second look - fck!! the flue is glowing red, look outside, smoke streaming out of the side of the chimney stack, top of the flue glowing red - aaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Called the fire brigade - they turned up really promptly. Three hours later they finally gave the all clear. They had poked and prodded the flue from above and below, bit of water down the stack (which only started dripping down after about a minute, the rest just steamed!).

Told by fire brigade this was one of the worst and complicated chimney fire they had experienced - scary. We'd done the right thing calling them out. I dread to think what would have happened had we gone to bed without noticing - <shudder>

To top it off - our youngest woke with a bad reaction to the latest antibiotics for his latest bout of tonsilitis - watching firemen coming in and out of my house with 3 year old on lap vomiting into a bowl - what a night!

Comedy moment: our eldest (6) slept through the lot - firemen on a ladder outside his window, flashing lights outside the house, rods rattling up and down the chimney breast in his room. Only finally woke up when fireman went into his room to check the wall temperature with his thermal imaging camera.

What a night - still slightly shaky.
    Beer
    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

Makes my couple of beers with the Mrs sound a bit tame, but give yourself a pat on the back cos as they said, you did the right thing. Alls well that ends well all that.
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Did you not maybe consider waking the 6 yo up just in case, you know, your house caught fire?

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
        Well interesting Sunday night.

Stocked up the fire with coal and wood to fight off the cold temperatures and settled down to watch some crap TV.

Looked at the stove and thought the fire seems to be drawing well, took a second look - fck!! the flue is glowing red, look outside, smoke streaming out of the side of the chimney stack, top of the flue glowing red - aaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Called the fire brigade - they turned up really promptly. Three hours later they finally gave the all clear. They had poked and prodded the flue from above and below, bit of water down the stack (which only started dripping down after about a minute, the rest just steamed!).

Told by fire brigade this was one of the worst and complicated chimney fire they had experienced - scary. We'd done the right thing calling them out. I dread to think what would have happened had we gone to bed without noticing - <shudder>

To top it off - our youngest woke with a bad reaction to the latest antibiotics for his latest bout of tonsilitis - watching firemen coming in and out of my house with 3 year old on lap vomiting into a bowl - what a night!

Comedy moment: our eldest (6) slept through the lot - firemen on a ladder outside his window, flashing lights outside the house, rods rattling up and down the chimney breast in his room. Only finally woke up when fireman went into his room to check the wall temperature with his thermal imaging camera.

What a night - still slightly shaky.
        But other than that a fairly sedate evening?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

"Chimney Fire started by Coalman"

Very droll !

Comment

You do know why you should call in a chimney sweep every autumn, don't you Coalman?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Phew, glad it worked out OK in the end.

* Must remember to get the chimney swept.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                You do know why you should call in a chimney sweep every autumn, don't you Coalman?
                If that's not in UD yet, it should be.

I assumed this thread was going to be SY01's when I first glimpsed the title.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

UD? No idea what that acronym represents.

Sounds pretty alarming Coalman, quite lucky that no serious damage from the fire or the water from the Firemen happened I'd guess.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    MP knows a song about that
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X