• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rationing to combat climate change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rationing to combat climate change

Looks like we need rationing to stop runaway global warming:

Cancun climate change summit: scientists call for rationing in developed world - Telegraph

all in a good cause.
    I'm alright Jack

the window is now all but closed and we are looking at probably 2-4C or more this century
    If it's going to be that warm it's probably time to reopen the window.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke
      For a bit of media balance see The Guardian

Comment

Surely it would be better to stop the third world breeding

Ration medicines, food supplies etc
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke
          Yeah, the Telegraph, who bizarrely continue to employ James Delingpole and Christopher Booker is my first choice for balanced climate change coverage .

There was a window of opportunity, I would guess starting 12-15 years ago, when concerted global action might have cut GHG emissions hard and fast enough to constrain the eventual peak global temperature increase to the 2C above pre-industrial times that many scientists characterise as the threshold for 'dangerous' climate change. Thanks in some measure to a campaign of misinformation and 'doubt is our product' type propaganda, firstly from the fossil fuel companies, and latterly from more politically-motivated anti-scientists, such action has not come to pass, the window is now all but closed and we are looking at probably 2-4C or more this century.

The Telegraph is referring to a 'themed issue' of the Royal Society's Philosophical Transactions journal, entitled '4C and beyond' consisting of papers examining what such a world may look like. Here's an extract from the intro ...

Note that this is the UK's National Science Academy, not some self-published washed-up ex-weatherman

For a bit of media balance see The Guardian
          lets see what Mother Nature has to say about this:

The upward spike looks a little impotent to me.

....a bit of "local weather" is it ?

Global Temp

Well blow me over with a feather the global temperatures seem to be crashing as well.

never mind
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 November 2010, 12:46.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            lets see what Mother Nature has to say about this:

....a bit of "local weather" is it ?

The upward spike looks a little impotent to me.

...oh the global temperatures seem to be crashing so spoiling the 2010 "hottest year".

Global Temp

never mind
            Has the CO2 level risen or fallen over the last 5 years?

Comment

A window of opportunity 12- 15 years ago ??

I was too busy buying 'stop the acid rain' badges, stocking up for the impending mini ice age, painting me ead silver to protect against the nuclear winter, wearing masks to protect against SARs , looking out for dying swans that might have bird flu, then avoiding the millions of body bags and spare jabs that we stockpiled for the swine flu.

Oh and the ozone layer, the millenium bug and,...er , I cant remember, but I am sure the loop-fruits had a whole bunch of other doom laden horror stories that they peddle for one reason or another.

The precautionary principle - thats it. 'We dont know for sure if we are right yet, but hand over control and your wealth to us, because you cannot be trusted to do the right thing'.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I was too busy worrying about a far bigger disaster on the horizon 15 years ago.....

Labour Party (UK) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Working...
                X