• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FIFA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIFA

Has the Panorama exposé really damaged England's chances of hosting the world cup in 2018? I can't help but think there's a flip side to this, how can they not give the best bid the cup if they want to be seen as above board and doing the right thing?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    how can they not give the best bid the cup if they want to be seen as above board and doing the right thing?
    When you get set for life with a massive bribe from country that has got a lot of money and experience giving/taking bribes, do you think they'd give a smeg about "the right thing"?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      When you get set for life with a massive bribe from country that has got a lot of money and experience giving/taking bribes, do you think they'd give a smeg about "the right thing"?
      So Russia is a dead cert then!
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        So Russia is a dead cert then!
        Yes, England made fatal mistake by using Beckham instead of using BAE...

Comment

Considering that FIFA will give it to whoever gives them the biggest backhander, and the Wikileaks thing revealed that Russia's government is pretty much run by mobsters, I would say England don't stand a chance.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            Considering that FIFA will give it to whoever gives them the biggest backhander, and the Wikileaks thing revealed that Russia's government is pretty much run by mobsters, I would say England don't stand a chance.

I hope I'm wrong though.
            I don't think Wikileaks told us anything that wasn't blindingly obvious there.

The Dutch blew their chance by suggesting FIFA pay a bit of tax, Spain and Portugal? Now that would be funny right now.

Russia 4/6 England 7/2 from odds on

Comment

This whole thing is scandalous. How can it possibly be the case that Germany can host the Finals twice since England last hosted it? Utterly ridiculous.
              England has plenty of top stadiums, decent enough infrastructure, and the game is very popular here so it would be financially sensible. Hosting it again in England is long overdue.
              If it ends up going to some tinpot backwater like Russia then it will be a travesty. Who the hell wants to traipse all the way over to a corrupt Third World tuliphole to watch their team?
              And even should the unlikely happen and England end up winning it again, at least the rest of us will get constant reruns of it in colour for a change!!
              Last edited by shaunbhoy; 30 November 2010, 22:54. Reason: spelling
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                so it would be financially sensible.
                It all depends on point of view

Anyway, I actually think Russia might not win - Putin decided not to go there (previously he planned)...

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  And even should the unlikely happen and England end up winning it again, at least the rest of us will get constant reruns of it in colour for a change!!
                  Now, that would be the bit that worries me most. The ***** are insufferable about winning it in '66 with hurst's history making two goal hat-trick. Could you imagine what it would be like if they won it again ? Especially as Russian linesmen are so cheap these days.......
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                  X