• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Coronary Care Unit Vol. XLVIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Coronary Care Unit Vol. XLVIII

A bit late due to lack of Internet connection/battery charger in the hospital, but here's further proof that Life is a Serious Business, and it's important to provide the correct fuel for both body and brain if you're to live it to the full:
    • The Bacon Hamburger Fatty Melt, a Bacon Burger with Two Bacon-Stuffed Grilled Cheese Sandwiches as Bun - "A little more than a week ago, A Hamburger Today introduced the world to the Hamburger Fatty Melt, a burger with grilled cheese sandwiches as its bun. And what did the world do? It spit in our face. Here on this site, and on other sites where it was blogged about, all we heard was, 'Where's the bacon?'" Where indeed? Here, Adam Kuban makes amends for his previous oversight

• The 9 Circles of Scientific Hell - "Dante's Inferno... offers a tour through the nine increasingly horrible levels of Hell, in which sinners are tormented forever. But Dante lived before the era of modern science. I thought I'd update his scheme to explain what happens to those guilty of various scientific sins, ranging from the commonplace to the shocking."

• Mystery Meat: Sausages From Around The World - "There are certain foods that exist in some form or another in just about every culture world-wide. Bread, stews, moonshine, McDonald’s…but one rises above the rest: The Sausage. This universally loved hunk-o-meat appeals to almost every demographic and can be dressed up or down, adding to it’s overarching appeal. Here’s a look at some of the great encased meats around the globe." Need I say more?

• The Moon Museum - "...with drawings by six leading contemporary artists of the day: Andy Warhol, Robert Rauschenberg, David Novros, Forrest "Frosty" Myers, Claes Oldenburg, and John Chamberlain... the Moon Museum was secretly installed on a hatch on a leg of the Intrepid landing module with the help of an unnamed engineer at the Grumman Corporation after attempts to move the project forward through NASA's official channels were unsuccessful."

• eggbaconchipsandbeans - He doesn't update it as often as he used to, but Russell Davies's blog is still a must-read, and worth searching whenever you risk finding yourself in an area where the quality of the cafes might leave something to be desired. Appreciate the lyrical quality of Davies's descriptions: "I think the best thing is the enormity of the plates. Hugely, vastly generous. So the beans have got all that room to spread out and relax. You get a layer of beans that's only one bean thick, like a sort of delicious graphene. And look at these brilliant chips. Crisp and fluffy. Existing as two states of matter at the same time. Genius."

• Does my brain look big in this? - "According to an oft-cited paper by Marcel LaFollette, a 1926 magazine once introduced an eminent medical researcher as a woman whose mahogany furniture 'gleams'. From the same study, but a 1950 magazine, a senior figure in the Atomic Energy Commission was praised for sewing her own clothes. Later, via Dorothy Nelkin, Maria Mayer (Nobel physics prize, 1963) was described as 'a tiny, shy, touchingly devoted wife and mother… her children were perfectly darling' and Barbara McClintock (Nobel prize in medicine, 1983) introduced as 'well known for baking with black walnuts'." Alice Rose Bell on the history of women scientists' portrayal in the meejah.

• Guy Builds Himself 1,000 Sausage BBQ Grill - "...it takes 14 bags of coal to ignite and can heat up to 500 degrees centigrade... It is fitted with seven separate coal trays and has the capacity to cook seven whole lambs at once." Best of all, it's British!

• Museum of Bad Art - "Are those ice creams or mountains?"

• Argentina On Two Steaks A Day - "The classic beginner's mistake in Argentina is to neglect the first steak of the day. You will be tempted to just peck at it or even skip it altogether, rationalizing that you need to save yourself for the much larger steak later that night. But this is a false economy... That first steak has to get you through the afternoon and half the night, until the restaurants begin to open at ten; the first steak is what primes your system to digest large quantities of animal protein, and it's the first steak that buffers the sudden sugar rush of your afternoon ice cream cone." Helpful advice, and recipes, from Maciej Cegłowski, who previously appeared in Monday Links for having accidentally wandered into a top-secret aerospace research centre in Beijing.

• Good Show Sir - "Only the worst Sci-fi/Fantasy book covers" Hint: if you see something bizarre like the head of Jim Bowen appearing out of nowhere, it's usually due to the editor of this blog concealing a nipple

Hi Nick, good that you're feeling better (I assume from the fact that you posted!).

Comment

Nice to see you posting again Nick. Keep away from that burger though.

Comment

Um, Nick, I think I'm starting to see why you had a problem with your heart

Comment

I'm guessing they told you to go easy on the cholesterol?

Welcome back.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The delightful version of blood sausage often served in the UK is affectionately called blood pudding. This sausage takes center stage at breakfasts throughout the UK along with eggs, tomato, baked beans and fried bread.
            Blood pudding is made with the blood of a cow, pig or goat cooked with a filler like meat, fat or bread, and boiled until the blood is thick enough to congeal. Then the sausage is cut into slices, and fried up for breakfast. Bloody pudding is also sold battered and fried at chip shops all over England.
            Hmm. I think "black pudding" perhaps, and while I wouldn't doubt Scots chippies batter it I would hardly call battered black pudding a staple in England.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Now for once.... These look like tasty links!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

A nipple, you say?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  A nipple, you say?
                  Yep - "click to see the full uncensored version" :

Comment

Cheers Nick,

I particularly enjoyed the bad art and the 'does my brain look big in this'

Hope you'll be all better soon

XX
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X