• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptops

Hi all. Not been around for a while, hope everyone's well.

Just want some advice, as not an expert on laptops. Need to buy new one for eldest daughter for her GCSEs, current one stopped working. Budget about £300, so can't afford anything fancy.

Had this one in mind, anyone have any comments?

Linky

Comet's website is pretending to be "extremely busy" and has placed me in a queue to even view the item!

However, the Compaq COMPAQ CQ56 101SA looks ok for GCSE work. Not dissimilar to what my daughter has. She uses hers for iPlayer, MSN, Facebook, surfing and occasionally fires up Office for school work!

I think you find the spec perfectly adequate for that. But with a Celeron 2.2Ghz processor, don't expect to be blown away by the performance!

EDIT: Also, IME Compaq is a good laptop brand. There are brand I'd avoid like the plague. Compaq (HP) is not one of them.
    Last edited by Platypus; 1 December 2010, 09:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Comet's website is pretending to be "extremely busy" and has placed me in a queue to even view the item!

However, the Compaq COMPAQ CQ56 101SA looks ok for GCSE work. Not dissimilar to what my daughter has. She uses hers for iPlayer, MSN, Facebook, surfing and occasionally fires up Office for school work!

I think you find the spec perfectly adequate for that. But with a Celeron 2.2Ghz processor, don't expect to be blown away by the performance!

EDIT: Also, IME Compaq is a good laptop brand. There are brand I'd avoid like the plague. Compaq (HP) is not one of them.
      Thanks for that. Her old one has a 1.86 GHz processor, so she will see some improvement hopefully.

Comment

have a look at this thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...top-child.html

there are a few examples in there

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
          have a look at this thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...top-child.html

there are a few examples in there
          Thanks FT. Just found the same laptop on Staples website for £45 less. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
            Thanks FT. Just found the same laptop on Staples website for £45 less. Cheers!
            have a look at quidco - there is a 7% cashback with staples direct.

Comment

Working...
            X