• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

5 a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 a day

Fruit and vegetables do not protect against overall risk of cancer, review concludes | Science | The Guardian

Phew, I had only worked my way up to 1 a day. Presumably there is a health benefit though, as the lack of calories one gleans from consuming indigestible vegetable matter helps ward off obesity.

Stopping smoking, cutting down booze, cutting down saturated fats, drinking 2-3 litres of water per day and moderate exercise 3-5 times a week for 30 mins a time. Thats what I have gleaned from all the studies over the years, as the best advice for improving/maintaining health.

Comment

There is more to good nutrition than minimizing ones cancer risk.

Nice ripe cherries, berries and plums in the summer, oranges & satsumas this time of year. Mmmm. And of course honey roast parsnips, roasted potatoes, boiled beef and carrots, and you need celery and onion in most stews, soups and sauces. Not to mention shepherds pie. Or green beans with pancetta to complement your juicy steak....
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Fish is also good for you:

A bit of lemon would go nicely with that.

The feeding of the 5,000? Not quite, but pensioner lands record-breaking halibut that's big enough to provide almost 1,000 fish suppers | Mail Online

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
          Stopping smoking, cutting down booze, cutting down saturated fats, drinking 2-3 litres of water per day and moderate exercise 3-5 times a week for 30 mins a time. Thats what I have gleaned from all the studies over the years, as the best advice for improving/maintaining health.
          More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart

Now a spate of new research, including a meta-analysis of nearly two dozen studies, suggests a reason why: investigators may have picked the wrong culprit. Processed carbohydrates, which many Americans eat today in place of fat, may increase the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease more than fat does
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I thought that had been debunked recently too.

Comment

Yeah good point, I remember reading that. I would add that to my list definitely. Cut down on cakes and fast food.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I thought that had been debunked recently too.
                Really, so now its forget the fruit and veg, don't worry about fat and water intake much?

Comment

Really, so now its forget the fruit and veg, don't worry about fat and water intake much?
                  The trick to a long life seems to be to cut down on calories. At least in rats.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    The trick to a long life seems to be to cut down on calories. At least in rats.
                    True, going further you can reverse ageing by lengthening your telemores.

Comment

Working...
                    X