• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will Germany leave the Euro?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Germany leave the Euro?

What will happen to the Euro if Germany leaves it?

Germany has resisted pressure from countries such as France to turn the euro zone into a "fiscal union" -- a step which could help the bloc address its economic imbalances, but which would require members to sacrifice sovereignty over economic policy for the good of the group.

Chancellor Angela Merkel is also sceptical about putting up more funds for bailouts, concerned that German taxpayers would end up shouldering the lion's share of a string of rescues of countries which Berlin believes have made themselves vulnerable through economic mismanagement.

Peter Bofinger, a member of the "wisemen" panel of economic advisers to the German government, said the risks to the euro were "enormously large" and Germany needed to decide whether it wanted to let the currency fail or do more to save it.

"For me it is decisive that we ask ourselves in Germany whether we want to continue to have the euro or not," he told NTV television. "We must have this discussion because we must ask ourselves whether we find it worth it to stand up for it."
    ECB talk lifts battered euro as crisis worries spread | Reuters

I've read a few articles like this, one in City AM saying they think Germany might leave as soon as next year
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    What will happen to the Euro if Germany leaves it?

ECB talk lifts battered euro as crisis worries spread | Reuters

I've read a few articles like this, one in City AM saying they think Germany might leave as soon as next year
    I can't see Germany ever leaving the Euro. Having banged the drum in favour of it for so many years, there would be a serious lack of credibility, coupled with the fact that being one of the main players in the Eurozone gives them a lot of power over smaller countries. Now there is an analogy but I don't want to draw on it so early in the thread.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
      I can't see Germany ever leaving the Euro. Having banged the drum in favour of it for so many years, there would be a serious lack of credibility, coupled with the fact that being one of the main players in the Eurozone gives them a lot of power over smaller countries. Now there is an analogy but I don't want to draw on it so early in the thread.
      You mean they get to exercise a lot of power and control over their neighbours without a single goosestep? Yep better nip that one in the bud right now
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
        I read a couple of months ago somewhere that Germany has started minting Deutschmarks again.

<foogles>

Ah yes, here'tis

With the Germans turning against the euro, is there any chance that it, too, could be as good as dead? Will Germany, in the end, lose patience with writing the cheques? The government is rumoured to be printing deutschmarks.
        Alles ganz klar ist.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Germany has resisted pressure from countries such as France to turn the euro zone into a "fiscal union" -- a step which could help the bloc address its economic imbalances
          The euro was never going to have any hope of working unless there was fiscal union. That is something that none of the of the voters f the countries of northern Europe will ever go along with. Would you want your taxes going to pay for lazy arsed Greek benefits?

Just when the whole thing collapses I have no idea; there is far too much political capital tied up for it to go just yet. However, the longer it hangs around the more damage it will cause to the lives of those yet to be born.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            The euro was never going to have any hope of working unless there was fiscal union. That is something that none of the of the voters f the countries of northern Europe will ever go along with. Would you want your taxes going to pay for lazy arsed Greek benefits?

Just when the whole thing collapses I have no idea; there is far too much political capital tied up for it to go just yet. However, the longer it hangs around the more damage it will cause to the lives of those yet to be born.
            You're quite good at this doom malarky aren't you.

Comment

Surely even if the Germans do quit the Euro they'll still have to meet their share of the obligations as regards bailing out the failed Euro states?
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                I read a couple of months ago somewhere that Germany has started minting Deutschmarks again.

<foogles>

Ah yes, here'tis

Alles ganz klar ist.

Building messerschmitts
                Last edited by DodgyAgent; 1 December 2010, 16:40.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Building messerschmitts

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Building messerschmits
                    The Fockers (FW-190) were much better, but don't get me started on this WW2 thing...

Comment

Working...
                    X