• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

14 days to self imposed benchtime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 days to self imposed benchtime

WOOOHOOOOO, 14 billing days left.

I spoke with my agent and client manager yesterday explaining I'm refusing my contract extension due to start in January because I plan to spend my time at home in Cologne, with gf Chef and goto school and study German qualifications for several months..

This should improve my German to an official qualification level to allow me to apply for German speaking jobs and therefore look for work closer/commutable daily to home.

2 years at current client co, 2.5 years since my last bench time, it's going to be a great Christmas
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    WOOOHOOOOO, 14 billing days left.

I spoke with my agent and client manager yesterday explaining I'm refusing my contract extension due to start in January because I plan to spend my time at home in Cologne, with gf Chef and goto school and study German qualifications for several months..

This should improve my German to an official qualification level to allow me to apply for German speaking jobs and therefore look for work closer/commutable daily to home.

2 years at current client co, 2.5 years since my last bench time, it's going to be a great Christmas
    Are you sure chef? Have you worked in German speaking job before? I worked in a few client sites in Germany, some of it was not to plesent. You want something from the guy in the next office but he has a different manager. You can't go and ask him, you have to ask your manager, who will ask his manager, who will ask him. If your manager doesn't like his manager, it will not happen for months. Learn German, but stay with Multi-nationals would be my advise.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      Are you sure chef? Have you worked in German speaking job before? I worked in a few client sites in Germany, some of it was not to plesent. You want something from the guy in the next office but he has a different manager. You can't go and ask him, you have to ask your manager, who will ask his manager, who will ask him. If your manager doesn't like his manager, it will not happen for months. Learn German, but stay with Multi-nationals would be my advise.
      I've worked in a German speaking job for the last 2 years and then a different one for 4 months previous so I know what it's like, it's more a case of having the qualifications to prove my level of German and polishing it up a bit. My line of work pretty much guarantee's I'll be working in multi-nationals but speaking the local language will be a benefit in looking for work closer to home.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

wooohoo once less guy to compete with.

Please tell me you work in MS dev

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          Eh? This kind of thing happens in most large organisations, German-speaking or otherwise.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

ACHTUNG! HALT! GEFAHR!

Spending time at home seems a great idea, but if GF chef works you'll be expected to have done the washing up, cleaned the bog, vacuumed the house, done the shopping AND cooked a meal worthy of at least 1 michelin star when she gets home in the evenings, otherwise no nookie for you!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              ACHTUNG! HALT! GEFAHR!

Spending time at home seems a great idea, but if GF chef works you'll be expected to have done the washing up, cleaned the bog, vacuumed the house, done the shopping AND cooked a meal worthy of at least 1 michelin star when she gets home in the evenings, otherwise no nookie for you!
              Of course, I expect the same off Mr N, but have to draw the line at the whole meal waiting for me as I don't fancy food poisoning.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
              X