• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OU Degree

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OU Degree

Feeling like I really need to get a degree, as an achievement to get in life.

Most of my study has been work ourse related, but, there are times I have considered changing career but lack of degree has stopped me doing this.

I am considering this OU degree taking the psychology route, or maybe just a pure psychology degree.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has done the OU, or not done it with reasons why.

B67 - BSc (Honours) Computing & IT and a second subject - Open University Qualification

Or this....

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...cation/b49.htm
    Last edited by Wilmslow; 3 December 2010, 08:30.

Don't bother you don't have the staying power of 4 to 6 years of study - save your money.

Also a degree is no easy route into your chosen profession.

Tone

Comment

An alternative rout for you is to pay close attention in your therapy sessions to how your therapist works.
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Got a couple of mates who didn't follow path into uni from school but went to work for a few years then did it.
        Have to be careful you don't go too old i.e.>30 but they had a great time, had a few bob and appreciated it miles more than I did.
        Save up, do a course that might be worth something and pack in work...

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

Most of my study has been work ourse related, but, there are times I have considered changing career but lack of degree has stopped me doing this.

I am considering this OU degree taking the psychology route, or maybe just a pure psychology degree.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has done the OU, or not done it with reasons why.

B67 - BSc (Honours) Computing & IT and a second subject - Open University Qualification

Or this....

B49 - BSc (Honours) Computing with Psychological Studies - Open University Qualification
          Are you considering psychology as a profession? I suspect you should rethink that idea.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            Are you considering psychology as a profession? I suspect you should rethink that idea.
            Perhaps he meant philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

In the public sector any old degree including basket weaving qualifies them to be the head of IT
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

Or this....

B49 - BSc (Honours) Computing with Psychological Studies - Open University Qualification
                Ok, I know this is a General Forum where general pi55 take is acceptable, but I will give a serious answer to your quest.

I will try and break down your question into 2 parts.

Q1. Is it worth studying with the OU as a part time student?

A1. If you have the money and patience / time commitment (between 16 and 32 hours per week, depending the number of points per course you are doing), and don't mind the lack of a classroom environment, then yes, it is worth studying with the OU. There are some tutorials available for undergrad courses (but don't be surprised if they are being phased out or if they are not available for less popular courses). The OU are moving to a Moodle / VLE environment and it is not friendly compared to FirstClass. Some courses, and I emphasise on the word some, are starting to use SecondLife as a platform to deliver tutorials. So be prepared.

Q2. Is it worth studying a Psychology Degree?

A2. I can't answer that, but the OU do offer some reputable courses. I don't know what its reputation is with Psychology degrees with the OU, but its not the best in the UK. But unless you are prepared to commit to a full-time regime, it would be difficult to find any better.

Feel free to PM me if you want to get first hand experience of studying with the OU. I've been with them since 2001, and have done my BSc with them.

Bear in mind that students who study with the OU are frowned upon by a lot of employers, so be prepared to put some positive spin on any education you do with the OU.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  In the public sector any old degree including basket weaving qualifies them to be the head of IT
                  Are you implying that Heads of IT are basket cases?
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                    Bear in mind that students who study with the OU are frowned upon by a lot of employers,
                    ...until they've got the degree, and then a fair number of employers are very happy with it; the OU can help you get in touch with those employers when you graduate. Be prepared to seek an employer who isn't a hypocritical jerk.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X