• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bowie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowie

I used to love Bowie in my teens and just recently I've been reacquainting myself with his oeuvre.

The Heroes album is fantastic right through with some very atmospheric tracks. Ditto for Low. Don't think the Diamond Dogs album has stood the test of time very well though. That said, the title track is my all time favourite; probably as I am a big Stones fan and that track has a very Stonesy feel to it.

Anyone got any favourites?

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    I used to love Bowie in my teens and just recently I've been reacquainting myself with his oeuvre.

The Heroes album is fantastic right through with some very atmospheric tracks. Ditto for Low. Don't think the Diamond Dogs album has stood the test of time very well though. That said, the title track is my all time favourite; probably as I am a big Stones fan and that track has a very Stonesy feel to it.

Anyone got any favourites?
    Ziggy Stardust was the one with blow-you-away impact at the time. Still great IMHO.

Side note: I admire Bowie greatly for never pushing the "repeat" button, but always doing something new. Unlike the Stones, say, who although I like them have always done pretty much the same thing.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Have all his albums, prior to the tin machine 'experiment'

Probably the greatest underrated British musician.

Hunky Dory for me.

Comment

Bowie

Ziggy Stardust is brilliant

I think Diamond Dogs is great too, quite experimental for its time

My favourite part is where Big Brother ends and Chant of the ever circling skeletons begins.....

Memory of a Free Festival is also a favourite...... and weee walked back to the road unchaaained .........
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Have all his albums, prior to the tin machine 'experiment'
          I had them all up to Let's Dance with the exception of Pin Ups.

Comment

Didn't like the really early stuff, 'Sound and Vision' is my fave.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
              I had them all up to Let's Dance with the exception of Pin Ups.
              Before The Unfortunate Burglary I had most of them, including Let's Dance.

I think Let's Dance was the one I played most. The GF at the time liked it.

And I did get to dance to "China Girl" with a very attractive lass from Hong Kong.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                Ziggy Stardust was the one with blow-you-away impact at the time. Still great IMHO.
                I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour,
                drinking milk shakes cold and long.
                Smiling and waving and looking so fine,
                don't think you knew you were in this song.

Five years is a brilliant song, but most of the time I feel like the character above.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post

Side note: I admire Bowie greatly for never pushing the "repeat" button, but always doing something new. Unlike the Stones, say, who although I like them have always done pretty much the same thing.
                  Spot On IF. He took a few risks but, for the most part, they simply served to expand his fanbase as they were all good in their own right. Have to say I preferred the early stuff like Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane, but I doubt he has ever produced an album that does not contain tracks that I really like.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I had one of his knives. They were cool.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X