• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend Calculation Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividend Calculation Query

Hi Contractors

So far this is my income for the 10/11 FinYear and so far I took 22k as dividend. and how much more I can take as dividend and what will be the tax amount if i take any more?. When I spoke to my accountant he says that I have to pay 25% tax if i want to take 10k more dividend. Just confirming with you.

Gross Salary
    April ---- £1,000 ------- through own company
    May ---- £2,863 ------- through different company
    June ---- £4,583 ------- through different company
    July ---- £4,583 ------- through different company
    Aug ---- £4,583 ------- through different company
    Sept ---- £4,583 ------- through different company
    Oct ---- £2,500 ------- through different company

Total £24,695
    Dividend 22,000
    -----------------------------------
    Total : 46,695

Thank you so much in advance.
    Regards
    G

According to my calculation you already owe the tax man £1183

Comment

With that much income you're already into higher rates of tax unless you have an exceptionally high tax code, so your accountant is correct in that any further dividend you take will result in tax of effectively 25% of the amount you take. So take £10,000 and your tax will be £2,500. That extra tax will be on your 10/11 tax return, payable in January 2012.

Assuming a normal tax code of 647L a person can have income of £43,875 before higher rates.

You should also bear in mind the dividend tax credit of 10% - a dividend of £22,000 is in fact £24,444 for tax purposes. That gross dividend (in higher rates) is taxed at 22.5% which equates to 25% of the net.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks thats really helped.

Regards
        G ;0)

Comment

Working...
        X