• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social workers - a rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social workers - a rant

My Grandfather is in hospital and has been for the last 3 weeks. He is in good health, but has some form of Dementia. He was living with my mother and father up until 3 weeks ago when they called him an ambulance as they said he was confused and aggressive.

He had low sodium levels which were largely attributed to the confusion. These are rectified.
    My mother has refused to take him back home. Also she has refused to visit him in hospital for fear of the social workers trying to get her to take him back, or being asked to fork out money for a care home.

I have taken next of kin status and have been regularly visiting, dealing with the hospital, social workers and prospective care homes. I visited no less than 7 care homes last Saturday under the pretence that he had been awarded full funding.

Then we had a meeting yesterday to discuss his ongoing care, and they were scoring him on various charts. Apparently the result of these scores means he no longer gets full funding as they deem he doesn't need it.

He is 93, paritally blind, deaf, severly cognitively impaired (their words) and can barely walk.

This means the care homes I looked at last week are all too dear, and my first choice home needs a £43 per week top up they want me to pay.

I have asked to appeal the decision, they have said they will just put him in the first home they can as they want the bed back. Their first choice was in last weeks paper with an expose on how poorly treated the "inmates" were.

I am effectively been blackmailed by them. I am quite livid.

Questions in my mind are

a) How did they change their minds over the funding?
    b) Why was the process not properly explained
    c) Why did they let me waste an entire Saturday looking at homes when they were all too dear, why not agreed the budget first and then give me a list of homes within that budget.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    My Grandfather is in hospital and has been for the last 3 weeks. He is in good health, but has some form of Dementia. He was living with my mother and father up until 3 weeks ago when they called him an ambulance as they said he was confused and aggressive.

He had low sodium levels which were largely attributed to the confusion. These are rectified.
    My mother has refused to take him back home. Also she has refused to visit him in hospital for fear of the social workers trying to get her to take him back, or being asked to fork out money for a care home.

I have taken next of kin status and have been regularly visiting, dealing with the hospital, social workers and prospective care homes. I visited no less than 7 care homes last Saturday under the pretence that he had been awarded full funding.

Then we had a meeting yesterday to discuss his ongoing care, and they were scoring him on various charts. Apparently the result of these scores means he no longer gets full funding as they deem he doesn't need it.

He is 93, paritally blind, deaf, severly cognitively impaired (their words) and can barely walk.

This means the care homes I looked at last week are all too dear, and my first choice home needs a £43 per week top up they want me to pay.

I have asked to appeal the decision, they have said they will just put him in the first home they can as they want the bed back. Their first choice was in last weeks paper with an expose on how poorly treated the "inmates" were.

I am effectively been blackmailed by them. I am quite livid.

Questions in my mind are

a) How did they change their minds over the funding?
    b) Why was the process not properly explained
    c) Why did they let me waste an entire Saturday looking at homes when they were all too dear, why not agreed the budget first and then give me a list of homes within that budget.
    Just get him the best home you can afford for now. Then kick up a fuss. His needs come first for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
      Just get him the best home you can afford for now. Then kick up a fuss. His needs come first for the moment.
      Agree. The only homes that have vacancies that are in budget are the ones that just got panned in the local press. Which means I have to ring round more care homes in a slightly wider belt to find one that is in budget, has reasonable standards of hygiene and doesn't knock their clients about.

This takes time.

Comment

The GF's aunt was left in a corridor to die. In pain and without pain relieving drugs. The family asked her to come up and deal with the situation.

"Why the **** is my aunt left in this corridor?"

"procedure"

"get me your ****** head nurse"

"I am the head nurse and this how we deal with terminally ill patients and you do not know how hospitals work"

It stared off with "I am a ****** GP with 10 years experience in hospitals and unless you get this patient medicated right now..." and went on for a very short while.

Click Click.

4 nurses where there to bring her in to a room to die in dignity with medication.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          The GF's aunt was left in a corridor to die. In pain and without pain relieving drugs. The family asked her to come up and deal with the situation.

"Why the **** is my aunt left in this corridor?"

"procedure"

"get me your ****** head nurse"

"I am the head nurse and this how we deal with terminally ill patients and you do not know how hospitals work"

It stared of with "I am a ****** GP with 10 years experience in hospitals and unless you get this patient medicated right now..." and went on for a very short while.

Click Click.

4 nurses where there to bring her in to a room to die in dignity with medication.
          Scumbags. Glad they got what was coming.

Comment

My brother is social worker and over Christmas dinner the arguments start flying "aye, you rich kids have enough money to support us" "I pay enough tax each year to fund enablers like you" "more Christmas pud kids?"

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Cuts cutting in maybe - it's inevitable people will be affected. I can see an argument why he's not in the "worst" category if he has ability to move/see/talk (even limited).

On the other hand - being blunt - why should he deserve a 'luxury' home rather than a more basic version? Are we talking nicer beds/food/decorations or differences between nurses on call and having to take your own baths?

Can you slot him in and start paying £43/week (not a too-massive amount) while wrangling over the details?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Cuts cutting in maybe - it's inevitable people will be affected. I can see an argument why he's not in the "worst" category if he has ability to move/see/talk (even limited).

On the other hand - being blunt - why should he deserve a 'luxury' home rather than a more basic version? Are we talking nicer beds/food/decorations or differences between nurses on call and having to take your own baths?

Can you slot him in and start paying £43/week (not a too-massive amount) while wrangling over the details?
                I think this is the most likely outcome. All care homes I have visited are very basic. My criteria for selection are :

1) Must have reasonable standard of hygiene. Stinking of pish is not acceptable.
                2) Must have some sort of garden.
                3) Must have nice carers. You can tell a lot by watching them interact with the clients and instincts count for a lot.

It's not that I want him in a posher home than he can afford. The home I want to put him in is quite basic. I just wish they had set the budget weeks ago. Their processes are arcane and stupid.

Comment

Do nicer carers go hand-in-hand with better facilities, from what you can see? I could see it going either way TBH... run-down places with workers trying to do the most they can & plush places with snobby over-important types, or the exact opposite.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

fook me!!!

let me and the ones close to me go quick

Comment

Working...
                    X