• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do any of you lot glorify terrorism?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of you lot glorify terrorism?

I'm not sure. The House of Lords cut it out of the Terrorism Bill, for various reasons but not least because it is too difficult to define, but Labour have voted to put it back in. So it will become illegal.

The Prime Minister stated today that juries will have no trouble with this law. Proper lawyers beg to differ.

So what is the definition of glorifying terrorism?

Can CUK contributors be prosecuted for sympathising with the Palestinians, the Irish who celebrate the Easter Rising, animal rights movements, or Iraqis who use violence to oppose the allied occupation of their country?

More wooly rushed-in badly drafted ill conceived confusing New Lie legislation.

Now there's a change.

Comment

Been wondering that myself tonight.

I do believe that terrorism can sometimes be justified. News this week of the Israleis effectively annexing more of the West Bank and refusing to let Palestinians even enter. Since they are not allowed an army and have no representation, what other recourse do the Palestinians have?, other than to just give in? Strikes me there's a lot of hyprocrisy on that, mustn't blow up a few Israeli civilians, ok to bomb Dresden or drop Nukes on Japan.

Biut then I'd be ok, I'm not glorifying terrorism, just saying there may be occasions when it's justified. But hang about, some Muslim cleric might equally "just say" that given the total trivia which barmy Muslims seem to regard as mortal insults, he could see occasions when bombings here might be justified. I think the young fanatics would get the message, so would he get away with it? If not, I should be prosecuted too.

It's a bloody minefield. Sticking with the concept of words likely or intended to incite violence makes more sense.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Actually some acts of terrorism should be celebrated... in the sense of a special Darwin Award for 'Performance Art'....

My personal favourite is when the IRA tried to murder a number of families in my home town of St Albans by planting a nail bomb outside the Civic Centre in 1991 as families were attending a concert inside...they picked a place that is effectively a concrete corridor leading from the main exit - would have been a bloodbath on the scale of Omagh.

Thankfully, the cowardly little feckers were bending over their toy when it went off, and all that was left was little red skid marks of IRA scum spattered over the walls of the exit tunnel... probably looked like a New York underpass...

Frankly id wish someone like Damien Hirst was allowed to use them for his exhibits once they have finished scraping up this scum...

Especiallly islamic suicide bombers as per the London underground... perhaps seeing your mate of a 'martyr' with his spinal cord protruding from whats left of his torso, no face, and preserved for eternity in pig fat with a catchy title like 'allah, who the feck is allah?' might tone em down a bit.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

McQ... Your analogy with the IRA has one major flaw...

The IRA won!

Comment

So where does Bonfire night fit into all this?
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

How have they won? Do they have a united Ireland?

If they get one if will be in thirty years when the effects of the differing birthrates shows at referendum time. By that time all those lives cut will look like they were wasted in vain.

Regards previous posts (I don't remeber which, does it even matter) what about the old adage that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Ah, Churchill, I see the flaw in your arguement...

It's all down to the NewLie definition of "win"...
                Well, you've got the current government bending over backwards to appease them(the IRA).

As for Bonfire Night, we're celebrating that age old tradition of burning a Catholic on November 5th... (They're cheaper than flags...).

Comment

Henry VIII was a religious terrorist of the very first order

I suggest all you protestants out there report to you local cop-shop and admit to being part of a long term terrorist plot to overthrow the catholic church.

You should all be beheaded (in a non-glorifying way)

Oh bollox I cant even use that symbol in a public place these days

Comment

Problem with these laws is that it encourages a legal feeding frenzy of taxpayers money while common sense takes an early departure.

Bonfire night is a classic example - come November this year, what's the betting that the police will be out ensuring little Jimmy is cautioned for glorifying "terrorism" while Murdoch churns out the vitriolic propaganda.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X