• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stand-off with accident repair garage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand-off with accident repair garage

You may recall that a lorry drove into the sode of my Focus on the M62 on Monday evening.

Got a loan car from the repair garage (although they were really not happy about lending me one, despite my policy having this as a right).

They returned the car to me on Friday at 6pm. Despite being dark I could easily tell that the rear wheel arch gap was different to the uncrashed side, and instead of a new rear wheel, they 're-furbished' with spray painting with silver paint. Makes me wonder the quality of the rest of the repair.

Needless to say I rejected the car, and kept the loan car, which garage really unhappy about saying they are depserate to get it back.

Called LV on Friday evening, who are going to send round an independant engineer to report and advise, and to check out the suspension rather anally.

I am wondering what rights I would have to keep the loan car in the meantime, and insist on swapping during daylight hours, meaning they will have to take it to work 60 miles away on a delivery lorry, or wait until Saturday morning?
    Last edited by Wilmslow; 5 December 2010, 18:57.

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    You may recall that a lorry drove into the sode of my Focus on the M62 on Monday evening.

Got a loan car from the repair garage (although they were really not happy about lending me one, despite my policy having this as a right).

They returned the car to me on Friday at 6pm. Despite being dark the read wheel arch gap was different to the uncrashed side, and instead of a new rear wheel, they 're-furbished' with spray painting with silver paint. Makes me wonder the quality of the rest of the repair.

Needless to say I rejected the car, and kept the loan car, which garage really unhappy about saying they are depserate to get it back.

Called LV on Friday evening, who are going to send round an independant engineer to report and advise, and to check out the suspension rather anally.

I am wondering what rights I would have to keep the loan car in the meantime, and insist on swapping during daylight hours, meaning they will have to take it to work 60 miles away on a delivery lorry, or wait until Saturday morning?
    Absolutely every right I would say. The repair work must be to your satisfaction. In the mean time you refuse the car as you have done. They may refuse the 60 miles but again you could always arrage to swap cars on the weekend and enjoy the loaner for the week.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      I am wondering what rights I would have
      You have the right to remain silent.

Be grateful you did not die in an accident (fooking lorry hitting in the back!) and only scratched your car.

Also, don't be a jerk that hogs curtesy cars and generally acts like a jerk which results in inflated insurance premiums for good drivers that never have such stupid accidents.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        You have the right to remain silent.

Be grateful you did not die in an accident (fooking lorry hitting in the back!) and only scratched your car.

Also, don't be a jerk that hogs curtesy cars and generally acts like a jerk which results in inflated insurance premiums for good drivers that never have such stupid accidents.

HTH
        Yer accept the sub standard workmanship for fear of upsetting AtW
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Yer accept the sub standard workmanship for fear of upsetting AtW
          Maybe the garage's owner is called Vinny.....

Comment

There was something on TV the other day going about insurance companies clobbering drivers, come renewal time, who were involved in accidents, even if the accident wasn't their fault and they didn't claim on their insurance. This policy appears to be common across insurance companies now. The insurance companies claim that even though the policy holder was not at fault, according to their stats machines, they're more likely to be invovled in a future accident that is the policy holder's fault. Soon none of us will be able to afford insurance, not just young people.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              insurance companies clobbering drivers, come renewal time, who were involved in accidents, even if the accident wasn't their fault and they didn't claim on their insurance.
              Personal injury claims can be brought up to 3 years after the accident, fault or not some health conditions can be found only sometime after accident took place, so insurance companies don't want to take any chances.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                There was something on TV the other day going about insurance companies clobbering drivers, come renewal time, who were involved in accidents, even if the accident wasn't their fault and they didn't claim on their insurance. This policy appears to be common across insurance companies now. The insurance companies claim that even though the policy holder was not at fault, according to their stats machines, they're more likely to be invovled in a future accident that is the policy holder's fault. Soon none of us will be able to afford insurance, not just young people.
                I recall that was on the one show earlier this week.

Yep, even if you are not at fault you are deemed to have made a claim.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  I recall that was on the one show earlier this week.

Yep, even if you are not at fault you are deemed to have made a claim.
                  There's a good chance it was The One Show where I heard it, I was mutitasking at the time. Is The One Show still as good as it was with Adrian and Cristine?

Comment

Just relay what you've said in this thread to your insurers, if your policy is halfway decent it'll include provision for a loan car paid for under your policy that you can keep until you are happy with the repairs to your car.

As for what rights you have to 'keep' the courtesy car provided by the repairers - none, its provided as a courtesy.

Basically just let your insurance Co deal with the mess, its what you pay them for and what they are good at, don't go bothering with arguing with the garage yourself or keeping their car hostage.

Comment

Working...
                    X