• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The roof falls in on Ireland's Millionaires Row

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The roof falls in on Ireland's Millionaires Row

In 2007 Shrewsbury Road in Dublin was the sixth most expensive street in the world. Now, post-crash, homes have been abandoned and the tycoon residents have run for the hills

There is a padlock on the gate of Walford, the most expensive house in the priciest street in Ireland. Graffiti adorn the conservatory windows, the lawn is overgrown and old mattresses are piled up in the front room.

In a well-publicised deal at the height of Ireland's economic boom, this red-brick mansion, which sits on a one-and-a-half-acre plot, was sold for an eye-watering €56m (£48m) to a mysterious trust called Matsack Nominees, widely reported in the Irish media to be controlled by the wife of a millionaire property developer, Sean Dunne. The neighbours include telecoms tycoon Denis O'Brien, the biggest shareholder in Independent News & Media, who bought Belmont, a house a few doors down, for €35m.

Walford, which sits abandoned after a failed redevelopment application, is on Shrewsbury Road – a pleasant, tree-lined avenue in the Dublin inner suburb of Ballsbridge which, in the extraordinary gold rush that gripped Ireland, ranked as the sixth most expensive street in the world, ahead of Beverly Hills's Carolwood Drive and St Moritz's ritzy Via Suvretta.

Few landmarks sum up Ireland's boom and bust, culminating in last week's €85bn international bailout, more succinctly than this street, where prices have crashed by at least two-thirds. "It's right in the centre of things; it's a street that's always achieved top prices," says Peter Kenny, associate director at estate agency Colliers International. "But from the height of the market, it's fallen a very great deal. The sharpest drop has been at the top of the market."

More from source: The roof falls in on Ireland's Millionaires Row | World news | The Observer

---------

Where's the AtW comment?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Where's the AtW comment?
      Ah that, no article about house price crash is complete without it ...

My comment: people who lived in those houses valued temporarily at many millions were not millionaires - if they were they would not have to borrow to buy them FFS.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

My comment: people who lived in those houses valued temporarily at many millions were not millionaires - if they were they would not have to borrow to buy them FFS.

That is all.
        Oh dear. You'll never get it will you.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Oh dear. You'll never get it will you.
          How is your credit card hopping going on? I remember you were one of those "credit card tarts"

Comment

How is your credit card hopping going on? I remember you were one of those "credit card tarts"
            Yes indeed. I spend about 80k per year on credit cards. I only make an extra 2k per year with interest rates being shit:.

Comment

I've started to look at moving house again next year.

Must have an indoor swimming pool, snooker room & library on the next move.

Comment

That is all.
                Also mentioned in today's Sunday Times article
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Where's the AtW comment?
                  Actually I thought AtW's comment on this article was his most intelligent yet.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    Also mentioned in today's Sunday Times article
                    Belmayne.... a little too close to Ballymun for my liking.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X